Chapter 14: Greatest Thing

Chapter 14
Greatest Thing

After seeing Lilith and Dale making out, Derek drives me to Dustin's place. I remain silent throughout the journey, and there's a heavy feeling inside my chest. I feel down and sad. Derek keeps giving me worried glances, but I pretend that I don't see it. As much as I want to hide myself, to hide my feelings, I can't. Derek is my best friend, and he has known me since forever and he can see past through me. We're like twins. What I feel, he feels. We have this connection that make us feel each other, not in a sexual way, but more like a connection of a siblings.

"Are you still going to the Halloween party?" my best friend asks me, his voice laced with worry and doubt. I give him a side-glance, nodding slightly and focusing my eyes on the road. "I understand if you're not going to the party. You don't have to. It's not a requirement. If you want, we can both stay in your house or my house, and we'll bitch together."

That makes me chuckle, shaking my head. A small smile plays on my best friend's lips, and then it turns into a full grin as he sees me smiling wide. "I'd prefer the latter, but you have to go to the Halloween party. I'm going to contemplate whether I'd go or not, and I'll text you." I say, pointing my index finger, telling him to park on the side just near the house of Dustin. "Just there. Thanks for driving me here. I appreciate it."

He scoffs, rolling his eyes at me and crossing his arms. "Times like this, we should be having a 2 or 3 liters bucket of ice creams and eat and watch Netflix, not you hanging out with a different person other than your magnificent, Russian best friend. That way, we'll both mope together."

"I don't want us moping together," I say to my best friend, bumping his shoulder with mine as he parks on the side just in front of Dustin's house. As if on cue, Dustin opens the front door of his house wide, revealing himself. He waves at me. I wave back. "I'll see you later, or tomorrow."

My best friend frowns at that, but nods his head anyway. "Yeah, text me." His tone says I better text him things or else he'll have a fit on me once we see each other again. Knowing him, Derek will want to know everything what's going on while I'm here in Dustin's territory. I nod at him, smiling brightly and climbing out of his car.

Once I climb out of the car, my best friends gives me a look (that says be careful, as if Dustin would take advantage of me or kill me in his house and dispose my body in a river) and I roll my eyes at him. He tips his imaginary hat, giving Dustin one wave of a hand, which Dustin returns, and Derek drives away. The cool air of October hits my skin and I shiver despite the scorching sun in the sky. Orange hue of color spreads sky, bursting. Dotted figures of birds fly as they soar high into the sky. The sun cuts through the thin line of the south road, and I feel a presence in front of me.

Dustin is wearing a simple and plain white T-shirt that looks good on him, half of his collarbones are exposed to me, and I flush. A pair of cream-colored cardigan pants, and brown slippers. His outfit is very simple, and I realize that he never wears fancy things. He likes to keep himself simple and plain. And I like that about him. His dirty blonde hair is a bit tousled, and his cute little dimple on his left cheek is so cute on him. He leads me into the house and once we get inside, I still feel the loneliness, but I also feel something that is... positive. I turn around and look at Dustin, and he has this genuine smile tugged on his lips and my breath hitches. I whip around, feeling the embarrassment creeping to my face and I take a deep breath, taking a seat on the couch.

"Do you want anything?" he asks me, his voice soft and alluring.

I want... Dale, no. I want... something worth for myself. "Can I sleepover?" I ask him and he seems shocked at first, but after a few seconds, he breaks into a grin and nods his head, his dirty blonde hair bouncing.