Chapter 5: The Empty Room

Chapter 5
The Empty Room

Though it's not really a date, as I've said probably a million times inside my head, Dustin says to me that he has enjoyed our date. "Our date is fun," he says as we walk across the path, my house just a few houses away. I have told him to park a few houses away from mine since I don't want my cousin snooping at us. Who knows, she could record and upload it online once she captured the video. I know my cousin very well, and I need to tell you, she's very evil. She's like the sister of Satan or Lucifer, and she could even surpass their evilness. "I have enjoyed. The Merry-Go-Round band doesn't suck, right?"

Thinking back of the band when they were playing on the stage, when they did a cover of Ed Sheeran's All of the Stars, they nailed it really well. Their voices are a gift from God, and that's something. "Yes," I say, sighing in contentment as the songs they covered play inside my head melodically. "Nailed it."

"That's what I thought," Dustin chirps, putting his arms behind his back. I kind of wish that he would put an arm around my shoulders, but thinking about it would be ridiculous. I mean, why would he put his arm around me for no apparent reason? It's not like we're together. "I hope you enjoyed our date."

I turn around to face him, my lips tugged in a smile as I look at him in the eyes. "I really did," I say honestly, letting him know that I'm not faking this happiness that I'm feeling. "Lately, I've been stressed, and I guess I needed to pull myself together, and this helped me, like, a lot. That's just what I needed."

"If you ever have problems, you can talk to me," he states, grinning at me and I nod. "I'm your friend."

Friend. That word replays inside my head like a broken record, and suddenly my mind goes blank. I try to rake my brain for the actual meaning of the word, but I can't seem to find its supposed meaning. I've been called friend for a million times by the people I was infatuated with. I've been told that so many times. I'm just waiting for Dale to tell me that I'm his friend, which means he's off-limits already. I know that he's already off-limit to me since he's straight as ruler, but I can't help but be amazed by his characteristics. He's different with any guy I have met.

Perhaps it's the way he acknowledges the gays when a gay person is hitting on him, or how he acknowledges the girls' attention when they are asking for one. It's his attitude. Being the school's current heartthrob is kind of taking its toll on him, but he doesn't let get in the way of his career. Lilith has, as I assume, already captured his heart and according to Gloss, Dale is a 'stick to one' guy.

Gloss has known his friend for a very long time, and never once he cheated according to Gloss. All of his failed relationship, the girls, they all cheated on him with the other men. And in addition, Gloss told me that he never got angry with them. Dale tried to understand them, to make sense of why they cheated. In the end, he always blames himself for something that he cannot control. I guess that's what pulls me to Dale. He's awesome, kind, caring, outgoing, and very friendly. He could make anyone smile if they're having a bad day, like he's the primary source of happiness of everyone. So I'm not really doubting if everyone keeps falling in love with him, because he's the epitome of a 'real man'. He's not really perfect, and he has flaws, but he has what anyone could ask for a man.

He might be a jerk, and he is though a little bit, but he has a diamond heart.

Dustin is shaking his hand in front of me, trying to get my attention and I get jerked back out of my trance, smiling up at him awkwardly. "Sorry, I was just thinking of something. But it's nothing important." I reason. Dustin looks at me, not even convinced but he doesn't say anything, and I'm grateful for it. "We still have a class tomorrow, and it's already 11:12 in the evening. You still need to drive, and I don't want you attending into school looking like a wasted young man. So you may go. I enjoyed everything tonight."