Chapter 15: Garden of Luck

Chapter 15
Garden of Luck

There are so much things I want to stay. His arms stay wrapped around me, and I don't know whether to return the hug back. Eventually I decide to put my arms around him, my fingers trailing the curves of his back. Someone whistles at the crowd and I smile at them awkwardly, waving, tipping my imaginary hat. Among the crowd, Derek's eyes bore into mine, there's no hint of disapproval or whatsoever in his eyes, just pure happiness, and a bit of proudness. I smirk, winking at him and he rolls his eyes at me in return.

"I know that I'll stay as your friend," he mutters under his breath, slightly pulling away from me so he can take a look at my eyes. My mouth opens, but the words don't come out of my lips, as if they are stuck in my throat. "And that's okay. Perhaps I'm not the person who can heal your broken heart, but I'm the type of person who can make things bearable surely. Best of friends?"

He offers his pinkie at me to take, and a chuckle escapes my lips. The crowd goes silent, still watching us. My eyes scan the area and I still find Lilith, Dale, Gloss, Derek and the others watching us in anticipation. Looking back at Dustin, I hook my pinkie in his and we share the same look, the same smile, and that's it, we're officially best of friends. "Best of friends." I agree, grinning widely. "Of course Derek will be pretty jealous."

"Nah," he chirps, his eyes twinkling in amusement. "Maybe."

"Let's go," I motion for him to go down off the stage with me, and he obliges. "They might be thinking now that we're officially, exclusively, happily dating."

The crowd begins to disperse, going into their preferred musical instrument and we walk up to our friends, who are grinning at us, probably thinking that Dustin and I are together. Well, I'd hate to pop the bubble, but they need to know that Dustin and I will stay friends. Best of friends. Gloss gives me a thumbs up, his hair disheveled and sticking up in every possible direction, and raises his palms up, offering a high-five. I slap my palm against his, and my palm stings of pain, both Gloss and I hiss at the contact of our palms and everyone but Dale lets out a soft chuckle.

Kaila grins at me widely, her hair in a ponytail and she winks at me suggestively. "So... are you guys together now?" she purrs, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. Dustin purses his lips, his dimple showing, fighting back a smile. I purse my lips, and Kaila begins to squeal like a pig, her skirt twirling as she spins herself. "I knew it. I knew it. I knew it. God, I suddenly remember Kevin and Collins. I need to text them ASAP."

"Sorry guys," Dustin says, scratching the back of his head, rather awkwardly, but you can see his lips twitching, the edge slightly turning upwards, lips curving slightly, as he fights back a smile. "The one that you saw back there on stage, it's not me asking to be together with him."

"He basically proposed to me," I say, chuckling when Gloss' eyes widen, "to be my best friend." I add hastily upon seeing my friends' expression.

Derek's eyes fly between me and Dustin, his mouth agape. "Seriously?" Dustin nods, letting out an awkward chuckle. From what I remember, Derek was basically not a fan of Dustin for me, but now, I'm beginning to question whether he secretly likes us to be together or there's something wrong with him. He mutters something under his breath that I can't quite catch.

"Congratulations, then," Dale speaks, his cold eyes boring into mine, that makes me shudder. His tone is monotonous, like he's somehow angry, but I could be wrong. "Congratulations that you guys are now best of friends." There's something about his tone that makes me question whether he's being sincere or not. He doesn't have any issues with Dustin, or so I think.

"Congratulations, too, um, again," I say awkwardly, letting out an awkward chuckle. "You guys fit together. I mean, Lilith and you look good together."