Chapter 1: The Kitting

StoneTeller stepped into the cave that held his nest. There was brand new feathers in his nest waiting for him. He curled up, but could not fall asleep for a long while. He had just buried a cat. It seemed like every day the Tribe got further away from sickness, but they had lost many cats. He woke up in what seemed a heartbeat, and it probably was because it was still dark. It was Rock that woke him. "StoneTeller" he yelled "come quick, Pool is kitting!"

As StoneTeller ran out he immediately heard Pool meowing in pain. He ran over to her nest and saw two other kit mothers surrounding her. As he walked forward they moved further away so he could help her. When he got to her he noticed her clutching her teeth and holding her breath. He first told her to breath. Then told a To-be to get a stick. Once he had the stick he told Pool to bite down on it. She took it and dug her teeth into it. He saw her stomach convulse and he shouted to her mate Rock, that the first kit was coming.

StoneTeller told Pool to push the kit out and the kit slid out. He handed it to Rock and told him to rub it with moss and lick its fur backwards. Suddenly her stomach convulsed again and a second one slid out. he hurried and licked it backwards. Then once a To-be handed him a piece of moss he rubbed it backwards. In few moments the kits were warm and fluffed up. Talon and StoneTeller put them next to Pool so they could suckle.

Once the kits were eating he looked at them. They were both she kits and perfectly healthy. One was a pale gray with shiny blue eyes she looked like Rock, but with a white snout and tail. The other kit was a bright Tabby orange she cat with green eyes and one front white paw. StoneTeller sat watching the two mates talking about names he wondered if they should be cave guards or prey hunters. The gray kit would be a cave guard definitely she had a strong sturdy frame and was bigger then the orange kit who already he could see had strong front legs and a smaller frame.

Once he decided he went over to Pool. "Oh StoneTeller they're perfect!" Pool said "I named the orange tabby Flame on eagle's wings like the sun's rays then I named grey kot Pebble below rapid water." He knew their names were perfect "Those are perfect names" he purred "I thought you would like to know, Flame will be a prey hunter and Pebble shall be a cave guard." StoneTeller saw both parents eyes brighten. I will have them mentor their kits he thought. Pool yawned so he let the kits and the two mates curl up and go to sleep. He went back to his nest and also went to sleep.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.-.