14. Catharsis

The restaurant was a fancy kind of place

The restaurant was a fancy kind of place. Chaise lounge, patterned with satin chairs, tables cloaked in white cloth, shiny marbled floor that rang with the clatter of high heels stampeding in a graceful flourish, reflective black sales, twinkling chandeliers and snobby millionaires dismaying at us with judgmental expressions as I made my way across, following Dawn like her shadow.

I settled on one of those fancy and seemingly high tables as I began to rummage through the Menu to occupy myself while Dawn dealt with her 'company', which was Paul trudging in our direction to escort Dawn.

I hated that man with utter ferocity. In fact, sometimes, he would be the comeback I'd use against Dawn in our foolish arguments. "At least I'm not dating an ice cube."

Smooth.

The only thing that made him slightly tolerable were his lavender hair because there's no denying there, I was always fascinated by the color.

After a while of sitting alone, biting my lips nervously and trying to avert my attention from the judgemental looks tossed at me. I anxiously tapped my fingers on the vast table looking like a loner.

After what seemed like forever, I saw Misty and Gary enter, their arrival giving me slight hope that this plan wasn't as miserable as it appeared to me.

And what surprised me was that they looked so genuinely happy and cute together. They had a friendly easiness around each other, which in my opinion, was the most crucial requirement of a relationship.

And judging by the fact that Gary had inherited the Oak genes, he was unexpectedly good looking. He carried an ethereal juxtaposition on his face, his mahogany hair were in spikes, his dark emerald eyes were piercing and his smirk made the female population of our school drool. Admittedly, Gary was charming, as long as he's quiet.

But when he's not, god forbid, he was obnoxious.

I just sat quietly on the corner table where Dawn's table was in a secure view. After Misty and Gary joined Dawn and Paul, I found myself completely blank, not having anything to do other than gawk on them or go through my phone.

Cursing under my breath, I chose to gawk on them, knowing that I had to be there to rescue if anyone messes up. Moments passed by but there was no sign of Ash and Miette anywhere.

After a good fifteen minutes, Dawn had began to exchange worrisome looks with me.

An uncomfortable feeling arose in my stomach and I decided to call Miette but more frighteningly, she didn't answer her phone.

No reply at all. 27 missed calls but no darned reply. I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked back up at my surroundings, hoping to find Miette coming with an invalid excuse for her late arrival.