38. La douleur exquise

I did not object to being dragged anymore, I've had too much to hide from now and I just wanted to hide in Ash's shadow forever

I did not object to being dragged anymore, I've had too much to hide from now and I just wanted to hide in Ash's shadow forever. It felt safe. It felt safe to be alone under his protection.

He just dragged me outside and continued walking on the trajectory, onto the desolate road canopied by trees, his pace descending gradually as we walked, his hand still wrapped around my wrist, refusing to let go.

The walk to home was long enough, but not so long that it could not be made on foot. I did not object to walking home even if it was exhaustingly long, I just wanted to be left alone.

I had so much to explain, to Dawn, To mom, To Ash. I had to tell them how I messed up. How I was such a chaos. How I couldn't keep myself together. How I let myself shatter every time. How I let my guard down. I was not ready for it.

We both walked in complete silence, I kept on looking above at Ash's face at frequent pauses. He just looked ahead, with a scowl plastered on his face, he was thinking of something I didn't know about.

Looking like a hazy afternoon fog, a shade of grey I cannot quite blend together, a colorless combination that I cannot recreate even if I spent a lifetime in front of a canvas. He was a sight that could turn my demons into flowers.

The walk was long, the way I wanted it to be. Soon, my house appeared in sight. The horizon was dyed in lilac color. The lake that had appeared in our sight also reflected the color of the lilac sky.

Ash paused in his track, as soon as we reached at the edge of the lake, the door of my house appearing in my sight, his auburn sunkissed eyes finally met mine, the look in them I could not quite comprehend.

"It was all my fault." He sighed as he looked at me like a gloomy afternoon, "I forced it, I shouldn't have, I ruined such a special occasion for you - I'm so so sorry."

"No, its me. I messed up, I'm so clumsy -"

"Serena, I need to tell you something." He uttered after a muffled sigh.

"Ash, I also need to tell you something, and if I do not say it now, I would never be able to say it ever again." I gulped as Ash just peered at me in confusion.

Have courage, Serena. Say it now. Just tell him!

I then reached for my bag barely hung on my shoulder, unzipping it as I rummaged through it, only to unveil a familiar handkerchief neatly folder in quarters with a blue band going along its edge, Pushing aside all the mixed emotions and unconventional chaos inside me, I took a triumphant deep breath, jumbling up all the strength remaining in me,

"Ash, we've known each other for longer than you think." I inhaled shakily, "I was that girl - that strawhat girl, that girl you probably don't remember, that seven years old girl, that girl who wore pink dresses and Mary Janes, that girl who had no friends, that girl who didn't talk much, that girl who couldn't read. That girl who brought no lunch to school. That girl who was bullied."