17. Serenity

"Anyone has an idea of what love is?" Professor Juniper questioned in cheery voice, making me practically cringe in annoyance

I looked around to see everyone's arm upright. Never had they shown such a great enthusiasm in English class before. That's a shocker.

More shocking was the fact that my hand today was so down this time, it had already reached six feet underground. Other than today, I always participated in class discussion, already supporting my hand up before the teacher could even complete her question.

I cursed under my breath as I darted my eyes in every direction to avoid any sort eye contact with Ms.Ivy.

"I bet ya' a ten dollars she'd say something to offend me now." Dawn whispered, her right hand flung high above her head.

"Oh would you look at that?" Professor Juniper scoffed, "Dawn's hand is all the way up. I've never seen this happen before. Unless its up in excitement of talking about some celebrity."

Dawn nudged me with a smirk as I shook my head nonchalantly.

"Another miracle here. Serena Yvonne's hand is down today. That's unusual, you always participate." She pouted.

I tilted my head with an apologetic smile and she returned it.

"Well why don't you give it a try? Tell me what's love." She nodded as I hesitantly fiddled with my fingers.

"I - Don't know?" I hesitated, slightly unnerved.

"Oh come on. We all know what it is. Just mould it into suitable words. Simple as that."

I stood up nervously and gulped, after a moment, I finally spoke up,

"Love - is defined by its sheer indefinability." I inhaled shakily, "Its like an abyss full of nothingness but a strong devotion to someone or something. Its incontrovertible, you cannot deny or argue this feeling. It is the most exquisite thing one moment and entirely grotesque and brutal another moment. It can nurture you or devastate you. Simply, you pick a person and give them a complete opportunity to destroy you and trust them not to."

"Wonderful. As expected, a brilliant description. You need to work on your conclusion, other than that, its amazing. I'm proud." She smiled encouragingly, "Anything you'd like to ask?"

"Uh, you can also fall out of it if you have a strong willpower--" I mumbled.

"Let's ask your friend, Dawn about that."

"Uh- me? Well -" Dawn stood up in annoyance, "No, you cannot fall out of love. If you do, its not called love, its infatuation. Love is lifelong."

"Well done, Dawn. You did not let me down this time." She half smiled, "That sums it up, now I'm giving you an assignment. Write about love. Either describe it, argue it or write a story. Your points must be strong and you must defend them. Your word limit is 350-500 words. Time starts now."