15. Devastation

My head was still spinning, the impact was too strong for my fragile little heart

My head was still spinning, the impact was too strong for my fragile little heart. I blinked a couple of times shaking my head in frustration. My lips tasted like sandalwood, alien taste venturing on my taste buds. An irascible impulse in my heart was driving me insane.

The worst part was that it wasn't a dream.

I looked up at him, knocking out of my reveries, my heart desiring an emotion in return from him. Just one feeling. One expression. One look. That could change everything. One expression of devotion, a little, even the tiniest spark that could witness that he had - even the littlest - a sliver of feelings for me.

Nothing. No response. No eye contact.

Not even a cold stare did he return, he wasn't even looking at me. He was looking at them - at Misty. As if I was nothing. As if he owed me no explanation. As if I was just a thing.

Use and throw away.

I was getting to know my worth. My entire life, all I had been, was a tissue paper. People always used me, let their pain out, let everything, every cyclone go. I wiped off their tears, helped them, gave them a shoulder to cry on. But in reality, nobody ever asked what I was going through, What bothered me, what my life had been.

No, they had always been selfish, always thinking when I apologized for whatever they were going through, it was all out of pity, not empathy.

When in reality, nobody knew this pain better than me.

But now I knew my worth, I was just another muse.

I heard clicks of heels rushing towards us. My vision was hazy and my head was heavy. I wanted to go home. Go home and cry for some very odd reason. Soothe my heart that had again fallen in love and again been broken.

I hardly knew what to think or feel. The walls in the diner had felt claustrophobic. I felt breathless, like all the air had been sucked right out of me, and I was nothing but an empty vacant, vacuum.

"Oh my Goodness! You guys are a thing, right?" The ginger headed girl jumped and squealed in excitement.

Damn, she was a catch.

Ash just nodded in response as I blankly stared at them, still spellbound by the kiss. Oh hell, my entire mouth was paralyzed.

"I'm so happy for you guys!" She hugged Ash, "You have no idea what a big burden has been removed from my shoulders! I thought you would be devastated after the breakup. I'm happy that you've moved on so quickly. I hope we can still remain friends."

"And coming towards your gorgeous girlfriend - Your name is -?" She questioned.

I panicked, contemplating right words to say but nothing really came out.

"Serena!" Dawn barged in, "She's Serena!"

"Wow, Serena! I'm actually very surprised that Ash could get someone as attractive and sophisticated as you - You are really beautiful. I'm actually quite jealous!" Misty playfully mocked.