This Is It

The sun was warm and welcoming on my skin, I pulled my hair up in a high bun, and relaxed in the sand. The Beach was lovely this time of year, of course, summer vacation, when all the kids are out of school, and we get to do what we want. Just graduating a month ago, I realized I didn't know what I wanted o d with my life. I was lost in the world, and I didn't hace anybody to turn to, except my friends. They could only help me with so much, because they too just graduated.

I watched as Shelly, and Connor frolicking the water, and Matt and I sat on the sand not saying anything, just sort of relaxing, though there was some tension between us. Shelly and Connor had been together for a year now, they are very adorable together. I'm jealous actually, Matt and I have been together for almost three years, and I despise him. He's a really good guy, loves sports and eating healthy, and children, but something about him doesn't mix well with me. We get along great, and we are the best of friends. I just can't see myself spending the rest of my life with him, like he has planned. He want's to start a family, and I could be the house mom, like any other woman would want. That just isn't for me. I want to work and go on adventures, maybe I need to expect more of myself and get away from this boring lifestyle.

I sat up, and rubbed the sand of my elbows, I looked down at Matt, and grabbed a big handful of sand, and tossed it on his back, just to get some sort of reaction out of him, hoping it would be a playful one, "Sam, damn it." He griped at me, standing up and dusting the sand off, "you're going to mess up my tan."

"Your tan?" I scoffed, "Really? How gay are you?" I rolled my eyes grabbed my sun dress, and stalked over to the bar up the beach. He didn't follow me, and I didn't want him to. I angrily pulled the stool out from under the counter, I pulled the sun dress on quickly, and sat down. I asked the bar tender for a lemonade, and pulled my sunglasses off. A woman came and sat in the seat next to mine, and commented on my glasses, maybe to strike up a conversation.

"Oh, they're Ray Ban. Aviators." I smiled and looked down at them, not paying much mind to her.

"Very nice," she smiled at me, "Why are you here by yourself?"

I looked over at this woman to see who she was, I didn't recognize her, but she was beautiful, perfect body, perfectly manicured, maybe in her late 20s. I instantly became self conscience. I wrapped my arms around my childish frame, "Oh, I'm not here by myself, my boyfriend and friends are down by the water," I turned around to point them out. I saw Matt playing in the water with Connor and Shelly, and rolled my eyes. I turned away, just the sight of him makes me want to vomit.

"Oh, your boyfriend?" She leaned closer to me, I could almost feel her breath next to my ear. "You seem unhappy about that."

I turned and looked her in the eyes, they were dark, mysterious and seductive. I swallowed hard but it wasn't noticeable. Our faces inches apart, "Who are you?" I didn't cringe away from her closeness.

"Oh, pardon me, I'm Katie." She put her hand out, her smile was kind and beautiful, big white teeth with full plump lips, her hair in waves resting over her shoulders, her dress was red, making her tan skin glow.

"I'm Sam," I placed my hand in hers, soft and warm, inviting even. We held the eye contact and searching her eyes, they are a dark brown, deep, and active.

"Your eyes," she turned the corners of her lips up, "so beautiful, dark green." She ran her thumb along the length of my hand. My lips parted slightly, I looked down her face, which was only a nose length away. I looked at her lips, then blinked and pulled away. What the fuck was that?

Shelly's laugh chimed behind me, "Sam," she wrapped her arms around me, "what're you doing over here?"

Hopefully she didn't see Katie and I So close together. I cleared my throat not looking at Katie. I sipped my lemonade, "I hate Matt."