Chapter 1: Summer

Boink. A ball hit me in the face. It was the summer holidays. It was a sunny day in Coopersville. I was at the park hanging around with my friend. The place was pretty crowded. It was mostly filled with kids due to the summer holidays. I was sitting on a bench, enjoying the view of the lake. A few people were canoeing. I had a relaxing time, well, untill a kid kicked his football (please don't call it soccer) into my face. I dropped the ice cream I bought. It was vanilla. How dare he! I quickly stared at the kid. I recognised the kid. He once chased me with a stick just because I was walking past his house.

"HEY!" I shouted. The kid sticked his tongue out. My nose was bleeding. Blood was slithering to my body and mouth. I could fell the coppery taste of it. Immediately after that I grabbed a few tissues from my friend Garry, who was laughing at me (his real name is Josh, but,everyone decided to call him Garry for no apparent reason). He is also the co owner of our small detective agency called Mystery Solvers inc. We haven't solved any mysteries yet though but someday we will ), I approached the kid's mother (whom I recognised because I saw her bring her son) who was sitting on a bench tweeting something on her phone.

"Excuse me madam," I asked politely. "Did you know what your son has done?"

She looked at me, "Oh dear, what happened?"

"Your son kicked his football at my face."

She was shocked."Liam!" She called her son. "Did you really kick your ball to this poor man's face?"

He ran to his mother. "Yes," His smile quickly disappeared.

"Apologize to this man immediately!" Her face was getting redder.

"I am sorry."

"Apology accepted."

After that, I walked to a drinking fountain and cleaned my nose as much as I could. Some of the blood was still stained in my favourite shirt. As I walked back to Garry, I heard a faint whisper. It was coming from a tree. I froze. Nobody was there. I let myself a little 'sigh'. First, a nose bleed, now, I'm hearing things. I rolled my eyes,"What abad day to start my summer." I sighed. I quickly ignored it and walked back to Garry who was talking with an elderly man whom I recognised was his grandfather. He wore a nice brown sports jacket. On his face was a majestic thick white moustache. On his head he wore a flat cap which reminds me of a particular irish gamer.

"Hello," I greeted him.

"Oh, hi Kallus," he greeted me with his warm grin.

"Hi, Mr.Caine."

His face quickly froze after he saw my nose. "What happened, are you okay?" he asked.

"Well, its a long story," I answered.

"A small boy kicked his football at Kallus's face," said Garry.

"Oh my!" he said.

"Say, what brings you here today?" I asked.

"I was going to pick up Garry. He wanted to stay at my place for a few weeks," he answered.

I frowned,"Wait, Garry, I thought you didn't plan anything this summer."

"Umm, yeah, about that, umm, I might have forgotten to tell you."

"Well, have fun, I guess," I answered.

Mr. Caine saw my face, "Hey, Kallus, don't be sad. I know you and Garry have been friends for as long as I can remember so, a few hours ago I called your mother for permission to bring you and she said yes. After this we're going to your home to pack your bags."

After I heard that, my face was filled with joy and excitement. "Thanks, Mr. Caine."

"No problem!" He smiled. We talked for a few minutes.

After that we went to his limo which was parked at the parking lot. Yes, a LIMO. This guy is very rich. He owns a company which sells yachts. He once brought me to his very big yacht (I was so exited back then). After we entered the car, his driver drove us into the distance, going to my house.

But, what we didn't know was that we were being watched. Somewhere in the park, two people were hiding above a tree spying on us.

"Did you plant the bug on him?" One of them asked the other.

"Yes, I did. Our plan worked successfully!"

"Perfect. I will tell headquarters. The boss will be very pleased."