Chapter 29: A Case Of Arson

The sky filled with soot as the house was burning in the morning sky. People gathered around the miserable house. The fire department was focusing on putting out the fire. The men in yellow fire retardant suits surrounded the house with hoses squirting water.

After thirty minutes of hard work, the men succeeded to put out the once blazing fire. Unfortunately, the only thing left of the house is the metal bunker and the remains of the house. Katy was being consoled by Garry. The others were busy talking to the firemen. I, on the other hand, was sitting silently under a small tree. I was hastily taking out my brown journal and continued writing my journal. After I scribbled some notes, I stood up and walked to the others, who were talking with a fireman and a detective. Sadly, it's not Detective Stacy.

"So, are you saying somebody walked into the front door and trashed the place and committed arson?" said the detective, holding a pen and a notebook.

"Yes, that is what happened," replied my mum.

"We checked the place," said the fireman to the detective, "the cause of the fire was gasoline."

"Yes, the man was holding a container full of gasoline," explained Mr Caine.

"Okay then," announced the detective as he closed his notebook. "Thank you, for the information. We will contact you if we find anything. In the meantime, the insurance and the usual will be processed."

We all nodded. After discussing the matter to each other, I walked up to Garry, who had his arm around Katy's neck.

I sat beside Katy, "Hey, it's all right. The insurance will cover the losses."

"It's not about that," she mumbled. "This place belonged to my great great grandfather. This is where he hid his part of the staff."

"At least the bunker is still intact," I told her.

"Yeah..."

"Guys, follow me. Let's head inside the bunker. I think I saw a pack of Kit Kats." I said to them.

Garry smiled, "A few bars of Kit Kat would be nice. What say you Katy?"

"A Kit Kat would be nice," she smiled.

"You guys go ahead first," I told them. "I need to do something first."

"Okay," They responded.

After that, I walked towards Emma, who was talking to my mother.

"Hey Emma, we're eating some chocolate, want to join us?" I asked her.

"Sure," she smiled.

"Great. You go ahead first. I need to ask something to my mother." I explained.

She nodded and proceeded to the bunker.

When she was finally gone, I looked into my mother's eyes. He's met mine.

"What is it, Kallus?" she asked me with concern.

I was sick and tired of thinking. "Did dad ever had any siblings? Specifically a brother?" I asked her.

My mother looked at me with a confused look, "No. He didn't. Why on Earth would you think that?"

"It's nothing, mum. Just a thought," I told her. I still wasn't convinced, though. Ignoring it, I walked silently to the bunker.

Is what my mother told me real? I didn't know. If not, why would she lie to me? And what about Sebastian? Is he telling the truth? Or is he just manipulating me? All these questions. They need answers, whether I like it or not.

One way or the other, the answers will come. Either good or bad, the truth always hurts.