Chapter 31: In The Cold Air Of The Night

"Are you sure you know how to ride this?" I asked Katy.

"It's like riding a bike, right?" She replied nervously.

"Umm, no, it's not," Garry told her. "But it's simple. You just hop on and press the button on the remote control."

"Okay," she said as she placed her right foot on the electric powered skateboard. She found them in the storeroom full of dust. Luckily, they still worked. Unfortunately, Katy doesn't know how to ride a skateboard; which raises the question, how did she get the skateboards?

Suddenly, Emma rrealised something. "Kallus," she said. "You were wrong. Only three of these skateboards work."

"Three?" I asked her.

"Yes!" Katy said loudly, happy that she didn't have to ride the skateboards.

"I guess you just have to piggyback Garry then," I smirked.

She glared at me.

I crossed my arms. "You'd rather walk then?" I asked as I lifted an eyebrow.

"Not really."

"Good. We need all the help we can get!" I told her. I looked at Garry, "You can lift her, right?"

"Sure," he told me. "Wait, what?" He suddenly said. His face immediately turned pink.

I grinned at him. "This will be a heck of a long night!" I said.

10 minutes later, we were in full gear. We had helmets on our heads and gloves on our, well, hands. Then, we walked outside to the cold night. We could see the moon shining in the black sky with small dots surrounding it, stars as we call them.

"Okay guys, here's the plan," I said. "We go to the mall's parking lot and..."

"And?" said Emma.

"I don't know. Let's just improvise from there," I told her.

Garry rolled his eyes, "Great!"

I looked at him and gave him a reassuring look. He smirked.

"Okay, everybody hop on your electric skateboards, now," I commanded. "Except for Katy. You hop on to Garry's back. After that, Garry will hop on to his skateboard."

"Garry," Katy said.

Garry let out a sigh. After two minutes of trying, Katy was finally on Garry's back.

"Katy, how much chocolate did you eat?" he asked. "You're heavy!" he said playfully.

Katy punched his arm.

"Ow!" he cried out. "Do you want me to deliberately drop you?"

Katy rolled her eyes. "You wouldn't!" she said.

"Try me!" he said with a cocky grin.

They both growled.

"Guys," I interrupted them. "This is not the time for you to confess your eternal love to each other!" I smirked.

They both looked at me with a menacing look.

"Let's just go," I rolled my eyes.

Immediately, we roamed through the empty streets with our electric sketeboards. I filled out my lungs with the cold air of the night. It was refreshing. I looked at my friends. Emma was skating the skateboard beside me. Her black bob hair was flinging behind her head. She looked sad.

"Emma," I said. "I know you're sad about your father going to prison. But, after all of this is finished, I promise that I will help you free him!"

She gave me a genuine smile. "Thank you, Kallus. You're a good friend!"

Ten minutes later, we arrived at the parking lot. Beside it was a large building; the shopping centre. Nobody was there, except for three black vans, including Zuku's, and five police cars, which were parked not so neatly at the sides. In the middle of the parking lot, John Doe held a golden staff high above his head.

All of the officers, including Detective Stacy, were standing side by side, aiming their guns to four people in front of them. The people in front of them looked familiar. Mr Caine, my mum, Anton and Zuku were shaking. In a split second, I heard the sound of gunshots wafting the cold night air.