Chapter 20: A New Mystery

I was drinking a strawberry milkshake I bought at the diner. We decided to meet up at the rendezvous point, the park. The sun was shining brightly in the sky. I was sitting on a bench under a tree. I was really shocked when he told me what happened at the docks. A few minutes later, he arrived, carrying a backpack and a camera. He then sat next to me.

"So, what do we do next?" I asked him.

"Sigh... I don't know," he said.

"I can't believe Sebastian stole the stone!"

Garry went silent. Then, he spoke,"Wait, I remembered something. After giving the briefcase to the thug, he said something about releasing a girl.

"This changes everything!" I said, "Did you hear more?"

He smiled, "In fact, I do. Including a video recording."

"Great, let's see it."

Then, Garry switched on his camera. He punched a few buttons and played the video. Both of us watched it.

"You promised...you promised that if I do this you will let her go!"

"Well, it's called business!"

When the video finished, my head was spinning with thoughts. The fact that he is associated with these people made me feel dizzy.

"They have huge guns," I said.

"Yeah, they were really terrifying!"

"Who's her?" I asked.

"Don't know. Maybe a relative?" he answered.

"Sebastian, professional gangster."

"I would watch that movie!" I laughed. Then, I threw my drink at a near trash can. Obviously, I missed and hit a brown cat. It purred violently and ran over to the opposite side of the green park. Opps!

Gary was staring at the cat, "What about Anton? Where is he?" he asked.

"About that, I don't know what happened," I told him. "Let's just wait, maybe he will come back," I shrugged.

"I still can't believe that the butler did it! This is so cliche! " he barked. Suddenly his phone rang. He pulled it out of his back pocket and checked who it was.

I looked at his screen. It was a number I haven't seen before, "Who's that?"

"I don't know. Should I answer it? Maybe it's a wrong number?" he asked.

"Just answer it, put it on speaker," I said.

Nervously, Garry slid the screen with his thumb.

"Hello? Who is this?" he asked the mystery caller.

"Garry Caine and Kallus Miller," the creepy voice said, "give me the stone, or I will have to kill your puny chef and your grandfather and of course, how could I forget the sweet Mrs Miller! You have twenty-four hours. Meet me at the docks at this time tomorrow. And by the way, don't bother telling the police about this. I have inside men. Better start finding it now. Time is ticking!"

Then, the person disconnected. I couldn't identify if the person was male or female because they used a voice changer or voice modulator. I looked at Garry. He was terrified. I was terrified. We were terrified. He then started cursing in English, then Spanish, then Arabic! I didn't even know he was fluent in other languages.

"Ok, let's take a deep breath and think about what just happened,"

Garry silently inhaled oxygen into his lungs.

"Dangit! It's not working! The person took my mum and your grandfather! And Anton!"

"What do we do?"

"For once," I mumbled, "I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? You're Kallus, you always have a plan!" he cried out in despair.

"Well, not this time. We can't tell the police. We can't do anything! We don't even know where the location of the stone is!" I exclaimed in disappointment.

Garry stood up, "Or do we!"

"W...what do you mean?" I asked him.

"Cmon, follow me!" he said as he ran.

I wiped my eyes, stood up and ran after him in hope.