Chapter 34: Elementary

"Katy?" replied Garry. "She's not a criminal! How could you say that?"

I felt awful, but it was the truth. Katy silently stood there, not making eye contact with me.

"I'm sorry, but it's the truth," I told Garry.

"No! It can't be!" he argued. "Do you have any proof?"

"Look. Katy stole the stone, not Sebastian," I sighed.

"Explain!" he responded.

"That night, when we planned the mission to save the others," I started, "that was when I realised something was up. When I went to the guest room, I started doing my research. What I found out, was very shocking."

"What is it then?" he snapped.

I smirked, "Why would Katy be at the docks when Sebastian was handing over the stone?"

"Because..."

"Because," I said, "Sebastian didn't steal the stone, Katy did. She was there to hand it over to her boss."

"Why would she even do such a thing?" he countered.

"Because she works for John Doe! Sebastian never had the stone in the first place. To protect his daughter Emma, he brought an empty briefcase to the docks. He gambled his own life just to save his daughter!"

Garry was speechless.

I continued, "And why would John Doe appoint Sebastian when he had Katy to use in the first place? I don't know. What I do know is that when we were in Katy's basement, she told us she retrieved the stone from the docks. But in reality, she already had the stone. She went to the manor, stole it, made the crime scene look as if it was an inside job, and brought it back to her place!" I explained.

I wasn't finished, "When I found out about all this, I realised that I had to make some sort of plan. I contacted Detective Stacy and told her about what I just found. But I didn't tell her about Katy being a traitor. I only told her that when the time comes, she must be ready. When the police officers shot our friends an hour ago, the police officers' guns were not loaded. When they were about to shoot, they signalled our friends to fake everything. And that leads to us now."

"Why didn't you tell Detective Stacy or any of us about Katy being a traitor?" asked Garry.

"She would deny everything! But now, with all of that evidence, what can she do?"

"Can't you at least tell me why you didn't tell your best friend?"

"Rule number one: I always lie," I told him.

He rolled his eyes.

Garry turned around and faced Katy.

"Is all of this true?"

"Yes," she uttered.

"Why did you do it?" Garry asked, murmuring every word.

"Reasons you wouldn't understand!"

Garry turned around, his face filled with horror and shock as he found out this horrible truth.

"Kallus, how did you find this out in such a small matter of time?"

"Elementary, my dear Garry," I said.

"Thank you," he said, "for figuring everything out." He then faced Katy again. He balled his fists, as anger pumped through his blood. "Katy, I don't know why you did it, but it doesn't matter. After all of this is settled, I don't want to see your face ever again!" he said with disgust as hatred shook ahold of him. 

"Garry..." I said.

"No, Kallus. It's not your fault!" he told me.

"G-Garry, I'm sorry. I should've told you sooner," she apologised as tears started to flow from her sad eyes.

"Kallus," Emma said, "if Katy was really the one who stole the stone, does that mean my dad is not guilty?"

"Yes," I beamed at her.

She ran to me and wrapped her arms around me. My face quickly turned red. 

"Thank you... thank you for figuring this out."

"It was my pleasure," I told her.

Then, a cold laugh rang the whole room. 

"You think these handcuffs will hold me?" John Doe said as he threw the handcuffs with his freed hands.

"How did he escape?" asked Detective Stacy as John Doe ran towards the direction of the chest. 

When he was finally beside the chest, he pulled something from his back pocket.

"Freeze!" he said. "Who wants to die first?"

"Yo, Einstein," I shouted, "how are you supposed to shoot us with that thing you're holding?"

He looked at his hand. Sure enough, he was holding a yellow banana.

"Where did my gun go?" he blurted.

"Fun fact: never mess with me!" I howled as I held his missing firearm above my head. "That's right. I swapped your gun with a banana when you weren't looking!"

"Kallus, where did you find a banana?" asked Emma.

"I always carry a banana," I told her. "Great source of potassium," I simpered.

"You stupid boy!" he said to me as he dropped the banana(Noooooooo!). "No matter, you are going to die anyway!" he scowled, "Good bye!" Then he reached his hand for the chest on the pedestal.

"Don't do it-"

A blast of energy escaped from the chest, hurling everyone to the walls. As my body hit the stone wall, I heard a cracking noise. I didn't know if it was the sound of the wall cracking or the sound of my bones breaking. Nevertheless, it still hurt. I then fell to the cold stone floor. As I was standing up(silently cursing to myself), I looked at everyone across the room. Everybody was unconscious except for me and John Doe.

Being the hero I am, I ran up to him, in hopes of stopping him once and for all.