Chapter 37: Aftermath

I opened my eyes. All I could see was darkness, looming over me like a shadow. I looked at my surroundings. Nothing. Just complete empty space. Suddenly, I heard a cry for help.

"Hello?" I shouted out. "Who is that?"

Suddenly, a woman appeared right in front of me, laying on the floor. It caught me off guard and I jumped.

"What the..." I said.

"Kallus...help me!" the woman said.

I quickly took a glanced at her face. What I saw shocked me.

"Mom...is that you?" I murmured.

"Help me..."

At full speed, I dashed towards my mother. As I was about to reach her, the floor she was lying on vanished. My heart was racing. 

"Kallus!!!" she shouted.

Suddenly, my vision vanished, and I saw a familiar looking person in front of me. I was laying down in a hospital bed. Sitting on a chair beside the bed was Emma, who was playing with her phone.

"Kallus," Garry said, "You're finally up."

"Whazzat..." I said, startled.

"You slept, Kallus," he smiled.

"What day is this?" I asked him.

"It's Thursday, twelve hours after that incident at the library," Emma said. "Here, have this."

She handed me a cup of coffee.

I sipped the coffee. "Where are we?" I asked both of them.

"We're in a hospital near the beach," he laughed. 

"What happened?" I asked him.

"Well, after we escaped the library, you blacked out," he told me.

I rubbed my head, "Why?"

Both of the frowned. Then, Garry spoke, "Well, it may be due to, I don't know how to say this, grief." 

"Grief...," I said. And it struck me, "Oh yeah...she died."

"We're sorry," both of them said.

"Why are you sorry?" I said as I gave out a weak smile. "You have nothing to apologise for." 

While the two of them were talking, I placed my hand on the pocket of my jeans. The paper was still there. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Then, a nurse came in and told us that Katy, who was in the other room, was awake and wanted to see Garry. 

Garry thanked her and after saying goodbye to us, immediately went outside to the other room.

While Emma and I were alone in the room, I stood up from the bed and walked towards the window. The view was amazing. I could see the beach and the Atlantic Ocean. A lot of people were sun bathing and playing in the water.

"What floor are we on?" I asked Emma.

"Seventeenth floor," she answered.

"Thanks."

"Kallus," she said, "At the cave, what did you want to tell me about my father?"

"I forgot."

"Really, you just forgot it?" she asked.

"This is not a great time..."

She rolled her eyes, "Okay then."

I smiled. While Emma and I were talking, Garry was in the other room.

"So, Katy, why have you summoned me?" he said.

"Shut up. Sit down!" she said as she gestured her arm to a chair beside her bed.

Garry proceeded to sit on the chair. "Look, Katy, I know you betrayed me a couple times, but you don't have to prove yourself by catching a bullet for me!" he told her.

Katy giggled.

"What's funny?" Garry raised his eyebrows.

Katy stared at him. "Funny thing?" she said. "The funny thing here is that you think I saved you just to prove myself! You think I'm a girl who just feels guilty all the time? I didn't save you because I felt guilty, no, I saved you because it's right! It's decent! And above all, it's kind. You were in danger, you think I would just let you be in harm's way? To be honest, I would've taken that bullet for anyone!" she told him. "So, you don't have the right to say I only did it for myself. There I was, thinking you were mature enough to understand this, but you know what? You're not!"

Garry stared at her in disbelief, "I know, and I'm sorry."

"No, I'm supposed to be the one sorry for betraying you!"

"Well, let's both apologise to each other," Garry said. He then reached out his hand in front of her. "New beginnings?" he asked.

Katy smiled at him as she shook his hand, "New beginnings!"