FIFTY SEVEN ▶ KIDS WE ONCE KNEW

chapter fifty seven

  chapter fifty seven

  ❧ ❧ ❧  

  When the front door slammed open during the night, Lacey had shot up from the couch. She hadn't been expecting someone this late at night after hours of her wallowing in misery and when doors slam open in Mystic Falls at late hours, someone was coming to attack you. 

  The blonde slowly inched towards the front door, ready to fight whoever had come in. She was seconds from stepping into the hall before she nearly ran into Faye. She let out a small shriek, which caused Faye to let out a small scream herself.

  "Jesus, Faye." Lacey cursed, reaching to slap her niece's shoulder. "You scared the hell out of me! I thought you were someone bad!" 

  "What bad guy would use the front door?" 

  "A respectful one." 

  Faye snorted at her aunt and walked past her to get to the living room. "Well, I'm not a bad guy so you don't have to worry." 

  Lacey watched the hybrid in confusion, having not expected her to come home. "What are you doing here? I didn't think you would leave Klaus alone."

  "He's not in the Gilbert house anymore. The spell broke," Faye said dryly as she walked over to the couch. She dropped her bag to the ground before jumping onto the couch. Lacey was surprised at her statement, knowing there were very few ways a spell could break. Before she could ask anything, though, Faye released groaned. "I need a drink."

  "You're asking for alcohol..." Lacey eyed Faye, finding it odd. The girl wasn't a much of a drinker, but she could down vodka like it was nothing if there had been something that had devastated or stressed her out. "Did something bad happen?"

  "You have no freaking idea," she responded.

  The blonde vampire walked over the liquor cabinet in the back of the room and propped it open. She grabbed a bottle of bourbon and two glasses before walking back over to the couch. Lacey sat down next to her niece on the couch, placing the glasses and bourbon in front of them on the coffee table. She poured them both a glass which Faye immediately knocked back when handed to her.

  "Jesus christ, Faye," Lacey said, eyes wide at the hybrid. "What the hell happened?"

  "I'm gonna need the whole bottle to talk about that," Faye responded. She grabbed the bottle without hesitation and took a swig from it. "Where do I freaking start? Bonnie, Jeremy, and Damon are missing and possibly dead. There's only one dose of the cure. Tyler had to pack his bags and leave or Klaus would kill him. Oh, and then after I was saying goodbye to Tyler, me and Klaus kissed." 

  Nothing shocked Lacey much except for the final part of the list. She slapped Faye on the shoulder as she gasped. "You and Klaus kissed?!"

  Faye winced and rubbed her shoulder where the hit had landed. "That was the most shell shocking thing that happened out of all those? My friends could be dead!"