SIXTY TWO ▶ BUILD A HOME

chapter sixty two

chapter sixty two

  ❧ ❧ ❧  

  Lacey Daniels loved her family. Not the one she was given at birth; not the mother and father who married her to the cruelest man in their village and then lied about her brother's death. She loved her brother, Charlie, the one who tried to protect her from the cruel world and would have fought to the ends of the Earth for. She loved her brother's wife, Amelia, who she refused to accept first hand, but welcomed her as a sister soon enough. And she loved their daughter, Faye, who came of evil magic and death, but ended up being the best curse ever given.

  She loved her family more than anyone could understand; except maybe Elijah himself. Lacey ran her eternal life according to their needs and desires. She followed her brother to the ends of the Earth, turned to be with him forever, left behind the love of her life to protect him. She threw aside her thoughts on werewolves and supported Amelia through pregnancy. She did her best to be a parent to Faye after she returned, even if it could have been too late.

  Lacey hoped Faye knew that. She hoped it would help her forgive her when she found out she was helping a pregnant Hayley Marshall, all for the sake of her mother.

  ❧ ❧ ❧  

  "I know that birthmark," Lacey told her, the sound of the long suppressed grief rising in her voice. The last person she saw with that birthmark was six feet under, right next to her brother.

  Hayley turned towards her again with desperation. She shrugged her shawl back up to cover her shoulder before asking, "How?"

  "Amy said only those in the pack had them. The Crescent Wolves."

  "How would Amy know?"

  "Because she had the birthmark. She was a Crescent Wolf."

  ❧ ❧ ❧  

  Three minutes until the clock would hit four PM, a text sent an alert throughout Lacey's room. Her phone lit up across the room, bringing the vampire's attention. She walked over to it and glanced down at the bold text. What it said was put simply, but there was much more to the story she was sure she could put together herself. 

  SOS. Witches in New Orleans have me. Not much time.

  The sender was a saved number under the two letter, HM, standing for the pregnant werewolf who somehow found danger. Lacey had known she would.

  When the time changed to a new hour, Lacey had already jumped to action. She had packed a quick bag and was rushing out the door, only a note left behind to inform Faye of her departure. In the next hour, she compelled herself a private plane to New Orleans and had already taken off.