Chapter Fifty-six: Change of fate

"It is a frightening thought, that in one fraction of a moment you can fall in the kind of love that takes a lifetime to get over" - Beau Taplin

- Cassandra Flame -

Asher had to stop Flame's hands from shaking. Worry was etched in his eyes.

"Are you sure you'll be fine on your own? I can always walk down with you. Just say it and I will"

"You have to enter with your family, Ash. That's the rule"

And she has to enter alone. She has to represent the Vander's independence.

"You're part of my family" Asher pouted.

Flame laughed, easing up her nerves a little. She snatched her hands away to pinch his cheek. "I have to do this on my own"

There's a first time in everything.

"Zeus is not here yet?" She suddenly asked. Hindi naman siguro makakatas sa paningin niya si Zeus diba? His mop of gray hair will stick out like a sore thumb.

"They're running a bit late I guess," Asher scratched his head. Wala na itong naidagdag pa because it was their cue to enter.

She inhaled deep to calm herself. It won't be so hard right?

"I can't believe it. Your family left you all alone in an event like this?"

At that moment Flame wished she still had Asher by her side. The Gandillons being here completely slipped her mind.

She had to let out the breath she was holding before plastering a fake smile then faced Sierra Gandillon.

"Hello Sierra" Flame was raised to be polite even to enemies.

The Gandillons belong to the same coven as the Vanders. If her family ever abdicates every position they held, the Gandillons will take over. And Witches aren't wild enough to settle everything with a duel. So it was safe to say they don't get along well.

Sierra did not even greet her back. Wonder and amusement came with her smirk.

Sierra approaced Flame with a plan in mind.

"On the other hand, why would your family even let you attend this kind of event? It's not like you're going to hold any kind of position in the near future"

Flame's smile didn't waver even when Sierra's words hit a nerve. She knew better than to talk back.

"Wow. You're the one to talk huh? If that's the case then you shouldn't be here either. Your family doesn't hold any position or whatsoever"

Ezra's expression mimicked Sierra's. Both were wicked and spiting. Walang gustong magpatalo.

Until Sierra slowly steps back, eyes blazing with anger.

"Walk away now little wench," Ezra waved her hand in a dismissive manner.

When Sierra returned to her family Flame turned to Ezra. "I hate her"

"Who wouldn't?" Ezra snorted in agreement. "You better head down before she attacks you again"

"Diba dapat andon ka na?"

"Asher gave me a heads up. He can't escape his Grandma's grasp to run back here kaya ako nalang ang pumunta"

Flame felt thankful dahil may mga kaibigan siyang liligtas sa kanya sa mga ganitong sitwasyon.

Pero alam rin niyang wala sila palagi sa tabi niya.

Flame survived the grand entrance. A polite smile and courage was all it took and it went on nang tuluyan na siyang makababa.