Chapter 23 : Hope.

AJ's POV :

"Morning." I greeted dad with a smile.
"Good morning." He smiled back.

So I was able to track down mom's number and invited her over to ours for a family dinner and give her time with dad. She explained to me what happened as well and I guess love really is. Looking out for others just so they could be happy. Forgave mom because I'd do the same. Just happens to be that way.

"Dad one of my friend's coming for dinner. Can we cook ?" I asked politely.
"Sure ! But better start early because we rule hiccups." He laughed.
Oh boy how much I want this to be my mom and him. Let's see how today happens to go.
Went out for grocery shopping with dad alone after ages and it felt like those days where I'd sit on the floor and cry if he didn't put me inside the trolly and take me. He's always done everything that he could just so he could see me smile. He'd always whisper but I never caught it.

Now I was nervous, could feel my hands shaking when I was cleaning the rooms downstairs. It was the first time I'd see my mom and get to talk to her in person. Not knowing for the past 17 years and yet forgiving her I myself didn't know how I did it. I've seen how excited my dad did get when he found her the tears weren't sadness anymore it was happiness and content.

Happiness yet pain is inevitable.

Doorbell rang. Truthfully moment.

I raced towards the door before my dad could because he'd flip. She was there standing in a long floral dress with her locks falling over the shoulders and bangs covering her forehead. Could say she was 24 for real. Or maybe even my twin. She'd pass right through.

Absolute beauty.

It was such an awkward moment when I didn't know what exactly to say or do.
"Hey." I said pursing my lips to form a huge smile.
"Hey April, it is so good to see you." She quickly pulled me into a massive hug. It felt comforting and her fruity scent was so good yet overwhelming.

She just kept on smiling and observing me in which I felt uncomfortable, having her around and being this close to the person who happens to be my actual mom was scary, she's supposed to be dead.

Dead. But so alive and living.

Flesh.

Weird. Happiness is real seeing the only person you've ever wanted to see when thins went south. I just cross my heart and hope my dad really really just give this a try. You see deep down me and him both know he'll definitely wanna mend ways but it's not easy when you declare that person deceased.

"Stay right here I'll get my dad." I showed her way to the living room.

To be absolutely honest I was about to pee in my pants. Scared as ever. I couldn't stop to think as to how my dad would react. It's uncertain. He would probably smack me but if it's gonna be worth it I really wouldn't mind.

Hope. That's all I got.

"Dad she's here." I peed in his room. He was dressed up and ready.
"Just in time I see. Be right down sweetie." I smiled and walked back down.

I saw her adjusting and shifting on the sofa. She probably thought dad was coming downstairs. She saw me and sighed it was a relief sigh and I could say. I heard my dad's footsteps coming out of the room and oh boy I could hear my heart beat so loud like it was connected to a JBL. She heard it too and instantly stood up.

My dad made he's way down and I could him frozen on his tracks. Me being in the middle of the stairway it was awkward and the tension is so high i couldn't even.

Will I die ? Hopefully not.

"Ariel ?" He said rather dry.
"I was invited to a dinner, April she called me." She said looking down at her feet.

I'm dead.

"And you didn't tell me ?" Dad asked clearly looking very mad.
"I didn't want to, it was supposed to be a surprise." I said more like whispering. Voice wasn't really coming out.

"Would've been nice to know before but I wouldn't blame you, you and your mother has the habit of doing things without telling me." He laughed in a mocking manner. He wasn't mad at me he was being sarcastic towards mom.

"And if you don't wanna join us dad you are more than welcome to sit this dinner out." Now I was pissed. If he's gonna be so cocky and be rude id do the same. Because mom is no stranger and I sure do want to get to know her.

He walked back to his room.

Rude. Very rude.

I looked at mom and she wiped a tear from her cheek.

"C'mon mom let's go over to the garden." I smiled gently and she nodded.

We both sat down at the swing. Haven't used this in like a year I almost forgot it existed. Mom smiled looking down at the swing.

"This was your hide out." She said.
"Mine ?"
"Yeah when you could walk yet not well you'd always come here. When you were mad, sad or happy this swing was your favorite."

I smiled to myself. She remembers.

"That's why dad always took this along everytime we moved houses." I said.
We continued talking about all that I did and said. She happens to remember every single detail.

"Food's getting cold." A voice spoke from near the door. Both of us immediately looked as to where the voice came from.

"Dad ?" I was flabbergasted. Properly shocked. He came ? Like he's ready to forgive her or something. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

CRAZY !

"Join me at the table. I'm hungry and I want to eat." He said and left. I laughed. He was trying to hide the fact that he wanted us there, with him having dinner.

I jumped up and ran up. I could hear mom chuckle and say 'such a kid'.

It was silent through out. Everyone was just munching on the food and I was the one their making lame jokes and comments. Even though it was silent I could see both mom and dad hiding their smiles and laughs at my lame encounters.

"Okay you both I'm done embarrassing myself just to see you two smile. Now either you talk or I make this awkward by leaving. " I mumbled.

"Don't talk when you have food inside your mouth AJ." Mom said.
"Yes. Young ladies need manners. Look at your mom". Dad added.

Happiness.

Genuine happiness took over me. The adrenaline and the fact that I can't stop both smiling and tearing.