Chapter 3

"Korin? Korin?" The sounds of dead leaves that littered the forest ground crunched under my feet.  Everything was eerily quiet.  This has to be one of Korin's training exercises to keep me on my toes.  My hand rested on the hilt of my sword as I slowly scanned the area.  I closed my eyes to block out the visual stimuli and focus on what I couldn't see.  The sounds of water  winding its way through the rocks and dirt of the shallow creek bed. The slight rustle of leaves from the trees above as the winds flowed from the east. I took a deep breath and that is when I caught the scent of blood, but not just any blood.  Korin's blood. My body jumped into action taking off away from the camp and the creek heading south.  My heart slammed against my chest wall as thoughts of Korin wounded. I skidded to a halt when right before my eyes Korin laid bloodied on his stomach as rogue wolves howled over their spoils.  A blinding rage took over me and a sorrowful cry ripped through my throat gaining the attention of the rogues. I moved with instinct as I charged the rogues with my sword seeking out vengeance. I was outnumbered three to one but I didn't care. My only priority was to save my mate, no matter that he was an asshole.  He was mine!  The snarling wolves formed a line trying to ward me off through intimidation. 

I leaped in the air brandishing my sword toward the rogue in the middle.  He jumped to the side but not before my blade slashed into his back. I quickly turned around standing between them and Korin.  They all crouched low growling and launched themselves at me at once.  I swung my sword making a wide sweep at them slashing at their midsections.  I made contact with the one on the right and duck and rolled under the other two. I grabbed one of the rogues by the tail and slicing it off while dodging an airborne attack from the others. The tailless wolf tried to escape but I didn't relent.  I dove in the air raising my sword above my head and brought it down on its back.  The sound of his spine breaking from the force of the blade as it pierced through to the belly nailing the wolf to the ground was rewarding. I showed no mercy as his whimpering sounds from the pain of the metal tearing through its body was agonizing. The brown wolf with the wound on his back rammed me with his head trying to break my hold.  However I held on tight turning the blade until I was sure death was evident.  Blood from the rogue covered me and I yanked my sword out of the dead wolf. Rage continue to pump through every cell of my body as I zeroed in on the two remaining rogues. Twirling my sword I prowled towards the wolves and stopped waiting for them to attack. The brown wolf with the back wound stepped forward to challenge me, however the grey wolf backed away.  I didn't break eye contact with the wolf and watched as his ears folded back as he got ready to launch his attack. A flash of grey streaked by me and I knew his intent. The brown wolf was the distraction as the grey wolf move in to attack an unconscious Korin. The brown wolf went airborne as I turned to stop the grey wolf. I threw my sword like a javelin and just as the pointed end of my blade impaled the grey wolf a searing pain ripped through me. I wasn't quick enough to avoid the brown wolf as his claws dug into my shoulders raking down my back bringing me down to my hands and knees. I mentally blocked out the pain, my focus on saving Korin. I refocused my attention onto the grey wolf to make sure he didn't make it to his target. It laid motionless several feet away from Korin. I heaved myself from the ground to face the brown wolf, but it was gone.

"Celina! Korin!" I collapsed on my back at the familiar voice. Thank goddess reinforcement was here. I took a couple of deep breaths before standing up and  rushing over to Korin.  I turned him over, face up and was relieved that he was still breathing.  I placed my ear onto Korin's beating chest and was warmed by the knowledge that he was going to be ok. "Celina, are you ok?"

"Yes, Keagan, I'm. we're ok. Just a little banged up." I searched around to make sure we were still safe. "Did you all see the brown wolf? He had a gash on his back?" Keagan and his four warriors shook their heads. "How did you know where to find us?" Keagan looked at his warriors accusingly and their faces showing signs of guilt.

"Tell her!" Keagan demanded.

"Uhmmm." one of them cleared his throat desperately looking for help from the others.  Their eyes immediately fell to the ground. "Well you see, umm. Korin had this plan...."

"I knew it felt like a setup." I jumped up from Korin towering over him.  If he was awake, I would beat the shit out of him.

"Go on." Keagan snarled.

"Korin thought if you saw him in danger, it would give you the push you needed to fight.  So we were supposed to be rogues that was holding him hostage." the warrior didn't even have the balls to look me in the eye.

"But?" I waited.

"We, uhh, we kinda forgot to show up."

"So let me get this straight.  Korin was to set up a pretend rogue attack, in which I was suppose to come and beat the crap out of you all and thus saving him.  But in essence, you idiots forgot to show up, and my asshole of a mate got attack by real rogues who almost killed him."

All the warriors nodded in agreement while Keagan continued to give them the death glare.  I looked between the warriors, Keagan, and an unconscious Korin and I couldn't help it when a bubble of laughter hit the surface.  Everyone looked at me like I was an alien, but I couldn't help it.  My body jerked with rounds of laughter as tears rolled down my cheeks from the sheer irony of the whole situation. If I didn't laugh I knew I would surely breakdown and cry.  Because despite his stupid attempt to kick my ass in gear, almost getting killed was the reality check I needed. It was time to stop feeling sorry for myself and being afraid that my wolf might not return.  I was still Celina Richards, the pure blood princess and I damn well was not going to be afraid of it anymore.  It was time to go back and fight alongside my high guard, no matter what my uncle threw my way.