Chapter 35

We rushed into the foyer of the building the king has seek refuge in and a flash of his gold armor and Thadius’s trademark black trenchcoat  exiting on the other side.  The sun blinded us temporarily as we came out and we skid to a halt before crashing to the ledge where there was at two hundred feet drop to the ground. Jules yanks onto my arm pulling me back to keep me from teetering forward. I peered over the ledge to see the ground was covered with silver metal spikes.

“Celina!” I snapped my head to Jules who was running for a narrow set of stairs to the side. “Follow me!”

We followed Jules down the stairs and through a few buildings. We all skidded to a halt facing an ambush.  The king stood in front of his Royal warriors smirking with Thadius at his side.

“Ah, ah… not another step niece or I will leash them all on you.” The king waved the black dagger in front of him as a warning.  My eyes stay trained on the black metal that could end my life.

“Surrender.” I spat.

“Do you hear that?  She wants me to surrender when she is outnumbered.” The king’s statement was met with leers from his men behind him. He waved the dagger again aiming it at me. “Don’t forget I have this.”

“That won’t be enough. Sorry my queen it took us a little longer than we thought to find it.” All of our attention was drawn to Keagan and the other rogues that left us weeks earlier. Sage rushed to the arms of her mate, Colin.

Keagan advance towards us holding an oval shaped black shield made of the same material as the dagger in the King’s possession.  I couldn’t believe they were able to find it.  It was the only thing that could deflect the dagger and counteract its effect. Keagan tossed the shield to me and I caught it securing my arm in the handles.

My lips turned up turning fully towards to the king. “It looks like my dear uncle that the playing field is now even.” A flash of confusion went across his face as stared at the shield in my hand. I might as well enlighten him.  “Why uncle, you didn’t think there was only the dagger? You see here is the shield that the dagger cannot penetrate. Now where we are equals.”

It was satisfying to see the look of fear and indecisiveness creep into the king’s eyes. We all formed a line my high guard transforming into the beautiful warrior wolves ready for battle. My sword appeared in my hand and I banged it against the shield with the cry of attack on my lips.

We all rushed forward and we became a sea of tangled limbs fighting and screaming as both sides fought for dominance.  I used the sharp edges of the shield along with my sword to slice and hack through the Royals trying to get to my target, the king.

 As I grew closer to the king I realized he was no longer fleeing and staying in the sanctuary of his men. He was fighting none other than my uncle Thadius.  The sight alone halted my progression momentarily at the scene before me.  Had Thadius finally came to his senses and was on my side?  Was he trying to kill the king to gain power and take his place? I couldn’t dwell on these questions for long as the kings guards appeared blocking out the sight of them fighting to attack me.

They were no match for me and I slashed through them within minutes but it was enough time for me to lose sight of the king and Thadius.  I fought my way to the last place I saw them and realized that they had entered a building on my right.  I ran in to pursue them and followed the sounds of clanging metal. The building was a library and I saw the king running and trying to escape the swing of Thadius scythe hopping from table to table.

I knew I wanted the king the dead but wasn’t sure which one I should go after first. The king had pulled down a stack of books in front of him to slow down Thadius progression and leaped to grab the railings of the banister from the second floor.  He scaled the banister as Thadius scrambled over the fallen bookcase.  I followed suit and stopped in my tracks before reaching the toppled bookshelf.  Thadius was about to leap for the banister when the king spoke.

“Enough! Do you think you can take me on, Thadius? What are you trying to prove by attacking me?  You really think she will forgive you?”The king’s confidence was strong as he stared at me. He brought me to my earlier doubts about Thadius true intention.

“You know why I betrayed her.  You don’t stand a chance now.  Give me the dagger!” Thadius spat at the king as he defended himself against the accusation.

The king kept his focus on me. “Celina, you have a choice to make kill me or the man who killed your parents. Which one is going to be?”

Thadius turned away from the king to slight face me. “No more lies.  Celina I didn’t kill your parents.”

The king’s laughter filled the room. “Now, now my dear accomplice, I don’t think she believes you.”

“Celina, think I raised you.  Do you really think I would kill your parents?”

“He would say anything to stay alive.  Don’t listen to him.  You know I had to have help to kill a queen wolf, your mother.”

“Celina look at me don’t look at him.  I love you.  I only stayed because of the dagger.  I knew he had but didn’t know where.  He threatened to use it against you, if I didn’t go along with this farce. Trust me.”

“Celina, grow some balls! Don’t be a weakling like your mother.  I see that you can be much more than her.  Her compassion killed her not me.  Don’t let your compassion led you down the same path.  Kill him!”

“You killed Korin.” I croaked out barely above a whisper shaking my head in disbelief at Thadius.  He killed my mate.  I saw it with my own two eyes.

“I know what it looks like, Celina. You have to believe me. I am on your side, always have been.” Thadius laid down his scythe hopping down from the bookshelf walking towards me. A memory of him killing the guard when I was fleeing the castle when the other queens were visiting popped in my head. 

I watched him warily as he approached and keeping an eye on the king who was rooted to the spot.  Thadius stopped within several feet of me, “Trust me.”

((A/N))

Dun, dun….. Trust or not to trust Thadius? Hmmmm, let your opinion be heard!

Sorry it took so long to write, I will not let it happen again!  Thank you for hanging in there. 

Nicci

Don’t forget to vote/comment.