THREE

"So then Minyard was all like, 'I'm obviously the best in our year,'" Ariah continued saying, mocking the boys voice. "So I hexed him right there and when he couldn't break the hex he ran and snitched on me like the little weasel he is! Now I have detention..."

Sirius had to admit, he was growing incredibly fond of the girl. They mainly hung out in private, but as they grew closer they moved to chatting in the Great Hall, in and in-between classes, during breaks. It was becoming evident to everyone that the two were friends. Some reason, Sirius grew to not care.

She just seemed to understand him in a way that no one else ever could. She looked past his family name and what others thought of him and he was grateful for her company.

He was hostile the first month that she forced her friendship on him but after a while, he realized it wasn't all that forced. She cracked his walls down, but only between the two.

"What kind of hex did you put on him?" Sirius asked. He laid on his back, his arms folded under his head — the skin of his arms relaxing under the blanket that rested on top of the snow.

This relaxed feeling only overcame Sirius when he was in Ariah's presence. It was one of the reasons he found it so difficult to push her away.

Ariah shrugged. "Not a big one..." she smirked. "Well... a pretty big one actually. It turned him into a giant blueberry — like in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

Sirius rose his eyebrow. "I'm sorry, like in what?!"

Ariah rolled her eyes. "Oh you uncultured pure-bloods. No matter. The point is, he is now a giant rolling blueberry and I have detention for a week!"

Sirius couldn't help but laugh. "How'd you think of that?"

"I made it up on the spot," she said nonchalantly.

"How'd you manage to do that?!" Sirius asked with an impressed tone.

"What?" she asked with a smirk. "You can't come up with your own hexes?"

"I'm 100 percent sure that you're the only first year who can do such a thing." He propped himself up with his hand, laying on his side to face Ariah.

Ariah smiled smugly. "Awe you flatter me, Black."

"Well, well, well," Bellatrix said, approaching the two. "If it isn't the Black sheep in the Black family."

"That doesn't even make sense," Ariah said.

"Shut your mouth you mudblood sympathizer!" Bellatrix pulled her wand out on the girl, causing Ariah to fall back on her elbows.

Sirius was quick to his feet, pulling his own wand on his cousin. "Get away from her!"

Bellatrix let out a cackle. "What are you going to do to me, Sirius. Make me levitate? How intimidating."

Ariah made a quick reach for her wand, but Bellatrix was faster, sending a burning sensation through her hand. She let out a wail of pain, clutching her hand to her chest.

Professor McGonagall came then, breaking up the crowd and demanding Bellatrix follow her. Someone ran to Ariah's side, his hands landing on her shoulders.

"Ariah are you okay?" James asked. "This is why you shouldn't hang out with the likes of him I —"

"I seriously doubt she needs an I told you so right now, mate," Sirius said, holding out his hand to Ariah.

James swatted the boys hand away from Ariah. "Don't call me your mate! And what do you know about what she needs? I think you've done enough damage."