THIRTY-SIX

"I'm kind of glad school has started back up again," Peter said as the group entered a compartment. "My parents have been on my arse all summer."

"You know what, me too," Meeka said, tossing her bag on the shelf. "Maybe school will serve as a distraction from everything."

"That's the hope isn't it?" Peter asked. Ariah couldn't ignore how tired he looked. His eyes were drooping from massive bags. She had seen him a few weeks before school started but she didn't notice how tired he looked — maybe because he hadn't looked so exhausted. But Ariah felt a tug of guilt inside her for not noticing and caring for Peter more — after all, he was one of them and she could feel the anguish and loneliness and need for validation writhing inside of his small body.

"Are you okay, Pete?" Ariah asked, putting a hand on his shoulder. At the contact, Ariah felt a whirl-pool or mixed, negative emotions and her heart hurt for her friend.

He looked up at Ariah, clearly thankful for her concern. As he opened his mouth to speak, Lily barged into the compartment.

"I spent all summer looking up animagus information," Lily said as she shut the compartment door. "It is a very difficult process."

"We already know it's a difficult process," James said with an eye roll. "Tell is something we don't know, Evans."

"Can you quite being bipolar for two seconds and listen to me, Potter," Lily shot back.

"Look I don't want any of you doing this and —"

"Shut it Remus," Ariah said. "Lily, please tell us what you found."

Lily huffed, sitting beside Ariah and across from Sirius. "As I was saying — one has to put a mandrake leaf in their mouth for one whole month —"

"That shouldn't be too hard —" Sirius said.

"Oh really? Think you can eat without swallowing it? Sleep without accidentally swallowing it? Talk to people without them knowing you've got a mandrake leaf in your mouth?"

"We can't take it out?" Sirius asked. "You never said that..."

"It's a given, Black," Lily said. "On the next visible full moon, one month after holding the leaf in your mouth, you put the leaf into your potion — the book I found didn't say what the potion needed so I'm planning on asking Slughorn after our first class."

"Asking a teacher? That'll be a give away!" James exclaimed.

"If any of you asked — yes. But I'm Slughorn's favorite student." She gave a proud smile, sitting up straight. "He'll think I'm just craving more knowledge."

"What animals do you think we'll all be?" Sirius asked, excitedly.

"I'm obviously a lion," James said with a smirk. "Brave, chivalrous, daring... king of the jungle."

Lily, Meeka and Ariah all snorted and giggled. "Okay Jamie," Ariah said. "Whatever helps you sleep at night."

He glared at his friend. "Well what do you think you'll be?"

Ariah shrugged, chuckling to herself. "A badger." She gave James a mocking smirk.

"Loyal, dedicated and not afraid to scratch at some bitches eyes," Meeka listed, nodding. "Sounds about right."

They all chuckled before diving deep into a conversation about what animals they'd all turn into. Even Remus participated, guessing what he would be if he weren't a werewolf and making fun of Sirius and James' guesses at what they would be. After a while, the conversation died down, each person taking to something quieter. The boys had all fallen asleep on one another while Meeka and Lily fell asleep sprawled out on the opposite bench. Ariah had taken a short nap but slowly arose awake to the rumbling of her stomach.

She quietly stepped out of the compartment, careful not to wake anyone. Out in the trains hallway was silent, it was dark outside meaning they should be arriving to Hogwarts in a matter of time.

Ariah made a way in search for the trolly lady having a strong need for something sweet. Her hand was suddenly grabbed and she was pulled into a compartment. Ready to punch whoever just grabbed her, she quickly stopped herself. Frank stood in the empty compartment with a cheeky grin.

"Frank Longbottom you almost gave me heart attack and yourself a black eye!" Ariah exclaimed.

Frank chuckled. "Sorry," he said, wrapping his arms around her waist. "I saw you and I couldn't resist."

Ariah smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck. "I told Meeka about us," she said.

"You did?" Frank wore a large smile.

"Well... she caught us kissing and saying good night that one night you came to see me a few weeks ago," Ariah said. "But I've wanted to tell her since we got together but she's been through so much and I — felt bad for being happy."

"That's nonsense," Frank said. "She's your best friend, Ariah."

"I know — I know that now," she said. "And I'm really happy she knows."

"Me too!" Frank exclaimed. "Does that... well I don't want to push you but — do you want to become public now...?"

"Oh..." she said, an undefinable fear pulsing through her. "Er — I..."

"It's okay!" he said quickly. "At your own pace — I know what you've been through and the crap people give you so... whenever you're ready...."

"I'm sorry..." Ariah mumbled. "I don't know why —"

"Hey." He grabbed her face in his hands, his blue eyes piercing through hers. "It's okay — I'm happy with how we are now."

"Would you — would you still be happy.... with me, when people know?" Ariah asked.

"Why would people knowing change how I feel?" Frank asked.

"It's just... it's different y'know, going on public dates and people making assumptions about you for being with me and... it's just what we have is so good and — I'm scared of losing it."

"I have a strong feeling we aren't going to loose what we have," Frank said. "I love you, Ariah. And I couldn't care less about what others say about us."

"Could I — could we wait just a little bit longer?"

Frank nodded. "Of course, Ariah."

He leaned down, kissing her softly. "I love you," he said, pulling her into a hug.

Ariah wrapped her arms around his torso, nuzzling her head in his chest. "I love you too, Frank."