TWENTY-SIX

"What do you think?" Marlene asked. "A double date with Remus and Meeka in Hogsmeade?"

"I mean it sounds fine," Sirius said.

"Fine?"

"Yeah... I mean it sounds like a normal group hang out but yeah." Sirius shrugged.

"It's not like a normal hang out, Sirius," Marlene said. "I don't know if you know this, but I'm not apart of your friend group. In fact — none of them like me."

"That's not true," Sirius said.

"The other day I saw them all talking in the library and as soon as I went over to them, they all went dead silent..."

Sirius thought back to what she could be talking about. The other day they had agreed to meet up and discuss animagus stuff.

"Well... it's... they..."

"They hate me," Marlene said.

"No. No!"

Sirius pulled Marlene's legs onto his, pulling her closer to his body. "My friends are complicated. If you haven't noticed — we all get into a lot of trouble."

"Oh I have," Marlene said with an added giggle.

"They were probably just getting into some trouble and since they don't know you too well — they weren't sure you would be on board."

Marlene's blue eyes peered into Sirius' and he lost himself  in her presence in that moment.

"You mean that?" She asked with twinkling doe eyes.

"Of course — they'll love you just as I love you."

"Y-you love me?"

Sirius' eyes went wide. He hadn't even realized he'd said it. He definitely never realized he truly did love her. But if he said it, then he obviously meant it. Right?

"Y-Yeah... yes."

Marlene smiled, kissing Sirius. "I love you too."

Sirius let out a squeal as he was pulled into an empty corridor while walking to Divination.

He allowed his heart to slow its pace as he saw Ariah in front of him. "Dear God woman! Never do that again!"

"Did you — did you squeal?" she asked, holding back a giggle.

Sirius rolled his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest. "Is there a reason you nearly gave me a heart attack?"

"Don't be such a drama queen," she said with a fond smile.

She'd missed his dramatics as much as he'd missed her smile and that twinkle in her eye.

"I — er..." Sirius looked down at his feet. "I never asked how you are... after..."

"It's been a month and you're just now checking on me... how considerate..."

Sirius cringed, feeling the betrayal and hurt in her voice. He wanted to ask — so many times. There were countless moments in potions or transfiguration when he'd see her blank expression and teary eyes and long to walk over and hug her. To hell with Marlene.

But he could never get himself to do it. He'd grown to love Marlene and he didn't want to hurt her either. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

"I'm sorry... I've just — I've been..."

"Please don't say busy," Ariah said. "I don't want to hear lies, or excuses. I just — I want to know... what did I do..?"