TWENTY-NINE

"I don't know how to make things right, James," Sirius sighed. The two boys were in their dorm while Peter and Remus did homework in the common room. Not that Remus was talking to Sirius right now anyway...

"He hasn't talked to me since Christmas — that was a month ago!" Sirius exclaimed, throwing himself on James' bed.

"I'd start by apologizing to his sister — you're previous best friend...." James plucked a fuzz out of Sirius' curls as he handed him a packet of pop rocks.

"No, no, no! I can't apologize to her! Then she'll think we're friends again and I'm not ready for that." He poured the packet of candies into his mouth.

"You know I'm on your side, because you're my best friend and all, but you took it too far on Christmas."

"I know! But I can't apologize to her — I won't apologize to her I mean she has to apologize to me and Marlene before I ever consider apologizing to her."

"Then you gotta deal with Remus giving you the cold shoulder," James said with a shrug.

Sirius groaned. "I hate this year!"

Ariah stormed her way through the halls, searching for Marlene. Those she passed held their noses, or held back gags and frankly, Ariah couldn't blame them as she reeked of raw fish — fish parts covering her head to toe.

She found Marlene and pushed her. "What the bloody hell is wrong with you McKinnon!"

Marlene turned and smiled upon seeing Ariah covered in fish.

"Geez Lupin," Marlene said. "I think someone needs a shower."

Everyone around the two girls began to laugh.

"I don't understand what you want! I've stayed away from you and your freaking puppy of a boyfriend! Why do you insist on making my life miserable!"

"Whatever do you mean, Ri?" she asked coyly.

"Don't play innocent, Marlene. You clearly hexed that bucket of guts to fall over my bed — just like you turned my bed into your cats litter box last week!!"

"You have no proof, Lupin," she said, getting close to Ariah's face. Her eyes gazed behind Ariah and she made her face contour in a pouting way. "I don't know what you want from me Ariah, I've tried being civil!"

Ariah turned her head, seeing Sirius appear through the crowd that had now grown. Ariah scoffed, turning back to Marlene.

"Right, turning me into the giant squids snack is totally being civil but yknow what — if he didn't believe me about you pushing into the black lake, I just bet he believes this is all my fault." She gestured to her whole body. "Hope you two are happy together."

Ariah turned to leave the crowd.

"I'm sorry Ariah," Marlene said causing Ariah to stop walking. "I'm sorry your plan to keep us apart didn't work."

Ariah bit her lip, trying hard not to lunge at the blond behind her who was obviously relishing in all of this.

"You know what," Ariah said. "If I'm going to be hated, might as well be hated for something I did."

She turned back to Marlene, swinging a punch at the blonde haired girl. The crowd let out gasps as Sirius ran down to Marlene's side.

"Ariah what has gotten into you!?" Sirius yelled, helping Marlene to her feet.

"Oh, I think I just got it through my head, that I don't owe you, or your bitchy girlfriend — anything!" Ariah smiled, pulling a fish off of her shoulder and dropping it onto Marlene's lap. "You two deserve each other."