SEVENTY

"I just don't understand you James," Sirius said. He sat criss-cross on James' bed. It was just the two of them with Remus out with Meeka and Peter out tutoring. "You finally kiss Lily — and you decide to turn into a slag."

"A slag?" James sat up from hanging off the edge of his bed. "I'm not a girl."

"Dudes can be slags," Sirius said. "You, for example."

James scoffed. "Oh yeah? What did you do when you finally kissed Ariah? It didn't make her your girlfriend so what's the difference?"

"I didn't snog every girl who passed my eyesight so, big difference," Sirius said.

Sirius huffed out a breath of air, standing to his feet. "All I'm saying, is that you're better than this. And you're hurting Lily; a girl you care about."

James rolled his eyes, shaking his head in irritation. "I'm merely experimenting. Sorry I can't be like you, Peter and Remus and get married at 15."

"I'm sixteen, thank you very much," Sirius said. "And now I have to meet my wife for a study date."

"Enjoy your domesticity, paddy," James said with a salute and wink.

Sirius gave a sarcastic smile. "Enjoy your herpes, Prongs."

He shut the door behind him before the pillow James threw his way could hit him.

Lily was pacing the length of the private library room taken up by Dylan, Ariah and herself. Ariah was working hard to focus on the group project the three girls were suppose to be working on. Meeka was also in their group, but she was out with Remus.

"Lily can you quit pacing and help with this damn project?" Ariah asked.

"I'm sorry," Lily sighed. "I just..." she let out a groan, slumping herself on the chair. "Why are boys such... such arseholes!"

"I'm so glad I'm a lesbian," Dylan said, doodling on the corner of her parchment.

Ariah snatched the quill out of Dylan's hand. "Stop doodling and help me!"

"I really have to wonder why I had a crush on you way back when," Dylan mumbled.

"Because you clearly have taste." Ariah looked up, a smile overcoming her. She stood to her feet, making her way to hug her boyfriend.

Sirius wrapped his arms tightly around Ariah, kissing her head.

"I think I'm going to go," Lily said, throwing her backpack over her shoulder.

"Lily we really need to work on this project," Ariah said, placing a hand on her friends arm. Her eyes told Lily that it would be okay, but she felt the heartbreak seeping through every inch of Lily.

"Just leave me a portion of the project," Lily said. "I'll do it on my own."

She mustered a small smile before walking out of the private room, an awkward quiet filling it instead.

"I probably shouldn't have come..." Sirius said.

"No, no." Ariah put her hand on Sirius' chest. "I invited you. She's just hurting."

"Y'know I keep suggesting that I curse him and make it so he can't feel pleasure," Dylan said, making a limp gesture with her hand. "But Ariah keeps saying no."

"I really think that's for the best," Sirius said.

Dylan shrugged, going back to doodling. "You guys are just bias."

Ariah held back a chuckle, turning back to face Sirius. "Have you talked to him?"

Sirius nodded. "I can't seem to get him to open up. I can't even tell what he's thin— hey... but you —"

"Sirius, no," Ariah said, sitting herself down next to Dylan. She tore the parchment full of doodles out of her sight, replacing it with the parchment for the essay. Dylan sighed. "I'm not getting inside anyone's head."

"No.. I'm sorry that wasn't fair of me to ask." Sirius sat down across from Ariah with a deep sigh. "I just wish I could figure out what's going on up there."

Ariah set a hand on top of Sirius'. "I know. It's been a hard couple of years for everyone. And the rise of you-know-who isn't making anything easier. We all just.... need time to cope with things I guess."

"Couldn't you help him at all?" Sirius asked, peering up at her. "You're so good at this stuff."

Ariah and Dylan erupted into laughter. "Do you not remember all of year four?" Ariah pointed at Dylan as if you say 'exactly.'

"Well yeah but that was two years ago," Sirius said. "You've come a long way since then."

Ariah sighed. "I can try," she said. "But first I really need help with this damn project."

Sirius smiled. "I am at your service love."

"Can I throw up first?" Dylan asked. Ariah rolled her eyes, smacking the back of her head lightly.

"Quit doodling Delilah Kanners name on paper and get the hell to work," Ariah grumbled.

"I am at your service, love," Dylan said, smirking up at Ariah.

"Hey!" Sirius exclaimed, wrapping his arms around Ariah's waist. "Get your own girl..."

"Hey Jamie." Ariah sat down next to the boy, giving him a small smile. She attempted to read his emotions, to notice any negativity coming off of him, but he was closed off. "I feel like we haven't talked in a while."

James shrugged, keeping his eyes focused on the book in front of him. "A lot has happened between all of us."

"Yeah," Ariah said. "It definitely has. Are you doing okay?"

For a moment there was an ounce of grief that slipped through his walls as he finally looked up from his book. But it was gone as quick as it came and Ariah could no longer read him.

James gave a large grin. "I'm doing fantastic."

Ariah examined James for a moment. She knew he was lying but she couldn't seem to get inside his head to read him without using legilimens. Finally, she gave a small smile. "Good. That's good. And everything at home is good?"

"Of course it is," he said. "I've got my best mate living with me."

She knew that was a lie. Sirius told her about Euphemia falling ill. But she didn't want to push it.

"Okay," Ariah said. "I just wanna make sure you're okay."

"And I am," he said with a chuckle. "If this is about me snogging girls, well you did the same thing a few years back."

"I know that," she said. "And I'm not condemning you or judging you. But I wasn't in a good place when I did all that. I was hurting very badly. I just want to make sure you're okay."

James put his hand on Ariah's and for another second, she could feel something; another wave of grief and stress. "I'm fine."

Ariah let out a small sigh before giving a half smile. If there's one thing she's learned from being an empath, it was that you couldn't force someone to talk about their emotions. "Okay. I'm glad to hear it."

A/n

Hot damn I'm back. It's been wayyyyy too long but I give credit to all who have commented on this fic recently. It's driven me to update. I have to say though, it's weird as heck going back to writing straight fanfic when I've spent all these months writing gay fanfiction.... true story. Anyway hope y'all enjoy this little filler of an update :)