FORTY-SIX

The weeks leading up to Ariah's birthday, she spent avoiding both Sirius and Frank. At least she tried to. It was rather difficult, What with Sirius being her partner for DADA and numerous other classes and Frank being on the same quidditch team. And... y'know... her boyfriend.

All she wanted was her mother. Her mum would know what to do in a situation like this. Ariah surely didn't.

She didn't even feel the need to tell Meeka. At least... she didn't want to vocalize her feelings to Meeka — or anyone for that matter.

"Ariah!" Frank called.

Ariah continued walking, pretending not to hear her boyfriend. However, he had reached her, softly grabbing her hand. "Hey, Ri — didn't you hear me calling your name?"

She winced slightly before facing her boyfriend and giving him a smile. "What? No... no I'm sorry — kind of in my own world..."

"So I've noticed," Frank said, his dark blue eyes swimming with concern that made Ariah sick to her stomach. "Everything okay?"

Ariah nodded. "Yeah — just exams are coming up and everything..."

"Right," Frank said with a nod. "Yeah everyone is kind of on edge right now with exams."

"Yeah...." She stared down at her black loafers, rubbing the toes of her right shoe on the ground.

"Well, I was just coming to say happy birthday! Also to let you know I unfortunately can't come to yours and Remus' birthday thing tonight," Frank said. "There's a prefect meeting tonight and then I have to do rounds. I'm really sorry I wish I could make it."

"Oh — that's okay," Ariah said. "No biggy I didn't want the party anyway — Lily and Meeka are forcing it to happen."

"Well I'll make it up to you," Frank said, holding onto both her hands. He had a smile that could melt icebergs. It made Ariah feel even more guilty. "A birthday dinner tomorrow night? Just the two of us?"

"You don't have to do anything for me Frank —"

"I want to," he said, placing a kiss on her forehead. "I love you."

Ariah smiled half-heartedly, finding it difficult to tear those three words from her throat. "I'll see you tomorrow," she said before walking passed him.

She was burdened by the guilt she felt — all she wanted was to go back to before she realized her feelings for Sirius. But now that she realized her feelings, it was far too difficult to ignore them.

Sirius should have been in a better mood those following weeks after Ariah said she believed him. But Ariah was still being distant and short with him, making it hard for him to believe that she really believed him.

The day of the Lupin's birthday, Sirius sat by himself on a ledge facing the yard. He didn't want to be around anyone today. Him and Regulus had gotten into another argument and all Sirius wanted was Ariah. The inability to deal with James was another reason for his lack of entering the Great Hall.

James had been trying hard to get Sirius to forgive him since April, but Sirius was refusing to acknowledge his former best friend. The fact that Ariah was still evidently mad at him was enough for Sirius to continue holding a grudge. James would crack jokes in hopes of getting Sirius to chuckle, but with his already horrid mood - it was hard to get a chuckle out of the boy.

"Hey Sir..." James said with a shy smile.

Sirius stared up at his best friend with utmost apathy.

"I really am sorry... I didn't think my actions would ruin things so much..." James muttered.

"You're problem is you don't think," Sirius bit back. "Period."

James sighed. "You're acting like such a girl... I've apologized numerous times! It's no longer my fault!"

"If it weren't for your meddling than Ariah and I would be on speaking terms!" Sirius stood up, standing chest to chest with James. He was much shorter than James, but they both knew he could take him. "So yeah—" he pushed him. "— It is your fault."

James' eyes dropped along with his shoulders. "Whatever... if you want to loose both of your friends, then that one is on you..."

He turned on his heels, leaving Sirius to stand alone. Sirius instantly felt regret for lashing out at his best friend. He groaned, rubbing his face before finally heading to follow James down the hallway after several minutes of hesitation.

"Ja—"

"You think you're tough Potter?" asked the Ravenclaw seeker as he put his arms on James' shoulders.

James was held by the arms by two other Ravenclaw quidditch players. His face was already bloodied and bruised — his glasses broken against his face.

"Hey!" exclaimed Sirius, his blood boiling at the sight. "Leave him alone you giant twats!"

The seeker scoffed, eyeing Sirius. "Who's going to stop us? You?!"

The three men laughed before the seeker approached Sirius. He was massive compared to Sirius, who stood at 5'7 even. Sirius peered up at the seeker. "Yeah. I am."

"The runt of the Black family?! I'd like to see you try," he said.

Sirius eyeballed the three before throwing off his robes and going in for a punch. His fist landed on the seekers cheek, catching him off guard.

Sirius really didn't like violence. He was strong and use to retaliate in violence, but now he worked hard to be the least violent person. Still, he wasn't going to let anyone mess with his friend — no matter if the two weren't on the greatest terms.

With the fight essentially being one against three, Sirius was overpowered despite his strength. The three boys all ganged up on both James and Sirius now, until McGonagall arrived, sending the three boys to detention.

"Am I to believe you two had no part in this fight?" McGonagall asked, eyeing the two bloodied and bruised boys with skepticism.

"Not this time Minnie," Sirius said. "Black and Potters honor."

McGonagall gave a 'hmm,' "That honor means nothing whatsoever — but you two are free... for now."

"Can you stop staring at me?" Sirius asked, taking the slab of meat off of his eye. "I know I'm hot but geez — I'm not a piece of meat."

"I was actually staring at the piece of meat," James said, causing Sirius to chuckle.

"You stood up for me..." James said after a while of silence. "I thought you hated me..."

Sirius rolled his eyes. "I don't hate you, you git..." he mumbled. "By my misfortune it's impossible for me to hate you.."

James smiled. "Because I'm so awesome?"

"No, because you're a leech and I can't get rid of you," Sirius said with a smirk.

"Oh shut it," James said, shoving his friends shoulder. "You love me."

Sirius rolled his eyes again. "Whatever helps you sleep at night, mate."