FORTY-THREE

Meeka had made it to the edge of the black lake when Sirius found her. She was slumped on her knees at the shores edge as he approached her. He could hear her light sobs.

"I-I've been ma-mad at her," she cried, hearing Sirius' foot steps. "Bu-But I would nev-never..."

Sirius knelt beside her, putting an arm over her shoulder and allowing her to lay her head in his chest.

"She's never going to forgive me..." Meeka muttered. "Looks like you were right about me being jealous..."

Sirius sighed, squeezing her shoulder slightly and resting his head on hers. "You just need to face your feelings and fears."

"How do you know I'm afraid?" Meeka asked, her voice no louder than the wind.

"Because," he said. "Being afraid of your parents... it's a distinct look — a distinct type of fear I know all too well..."

Meeka lifted her head off of her friends shoulder, looking to the boy. "You never really talk about your family, Sirius..."

"Because they're awful," he said. "My mum... she has a temper and a way with dark magic and no moral or motherly bone in her body to tell her not to use it on her children. And my dad knows just what to say to break your spirits and stability.

He wiped at his nose, staring intently at the dark water. "They're.... they're death eaters," he whispered. "An.... and every time I go home..... I fear they'll make me one of them... or kill me...."

Meeka was crying again, covering her eyes with her hands — her body shaking. She had no idea her friend was dealing with that type of home life. She didn't even know her parents were death eaters until they killed her aunt and uncle. Not that they were good people. She hated going home. And now — now she feared her parents would find her and force her to be like them or else they'd kill her, just as Sirius said.

"Now why are you afraid?" Sirius asked.

Meeka shook her head, hiding her face with her hands.

"Meeks, you have to vocalize it," Sirius said, gripping her shoulders. "If you don't — they win. If you don't — the fear will control you."

She took a deep, shaky breath. "I-I'm scared.... that th-they'll come f-for m-me. I'm scared... I'm so so sc-scared, Sirius!"

He pulled Meeka into a tight hug as she let it all out, crying and shaking in fear and grief.

"An-and I miss the-them," she cried. "M-my au-aunty an-and uncle... th-they didn't deserve it!"

Sirius nuzzled his head against hers, stroking her hair until her sobs stopped all together. She pulled out of the embrace, wiping her eyes.

"An-and now Ariah wants nothing to do with me," Meeka said. "I don't even know how to get her to talk to me..."

"Just explain," Sirius said. "Tell her everything. If she can forgive me all these times, she'll forgive you."

Meeka smiled softly and nodded. "Thank you Sirius..."

He smiled and swatted his hand, quill still in hand. "No biggie."

"I can't believe you're still holding that thing," Meeka said.

"I can't drop it! It's like a bug bite that itches more when you try to ignore it!" Sirius explained. "Bloody brilliant..."

Meeka chuckled. "Can I see it? Maybe I can reverse the hex."

"Really!?" Sirius quickly gave her the quill, his hand slowly tingling as soon as the quill left his skin.