TWENTY-FOUR

"Are you sure Professor Slughorn is giving you an extra lesson?" Frank asked with a raised eyebrow as him and Ariah entered the potions room.

"I'm positive," Ariah said with a smile.

Frank didn't really trust that smile, but he had to get to quidditch practice...

"Okay. Don't leave here until I come back," he said.

Ariah rolled her eyes. "I don't need a babysitter, Longbottom."

Frank smiled. "But you have one." He winked. "I'll be back as soon as quidditch practice is over."

"Don't hurry back," she responded causing Frank to chuckle as he left the room.

She watched, waiting until he was fully out of sight before getting to work. She grabbed a cauldron and Severus' potions book — which she stole with the help of James' invisibility cloak.

Pulling out all the ingredients needed, she began to prep the potion.

"I forgot quidditch practice has —" frank stood in the doorway of the potions room, looking from Ariah to the ingredients. "Ariah what are you doing?!"

Frank made his way to her, looking at the ingredients and the potion book. She quickly grabbed it, hiding it in her robes.

But it was too late — he had seen the potion she'd been pretending to brew. Not that he knew she was pretending.

"Are you trying to get expelled Ariah?" He asked. His tone wasn't harsh like a prefects should have been. It was trench with a concern that threw her off.

"I— I wasn't —"

He stood up, easily standing a good foot taller than herself. His green eyes were peering into her mind. She could feel him searching her thoughts.

"You are trying to get expelled," he said with a sigh.

Frank put his hands on her shoulders. "Ariah, I understand that you want to be with your mum... but if you get expelled — you'll loose that part of you forever. And I don't think your mum wants that for you."

Ariah whipped at the tears falling down her cheeks. "I just can't lose her... she's the only one who's ever really understood me..."

"I know no one can ever replace a mother," Frank said. "But I understand you Ariah. I really do."

He gave a half smile that made Ariah's heart thump a little harder than normal.

"Ms. Lupin," called Professor Slughorn.

Frank stood in front of the ingredients, blocking them from Slughorns view.

"Just the witch I was looking for," he said, eyeing Frank. "Dumbledore wants to see you in his office right away."

Ariah's heart sank. Was this it? Was she going to get expelled? It's what she'd been wanting for months and yet, now that she had someone inside — she didn't want to leave and be so alone anymore.

"But Professor—"

"She wasn't going to do anything!" Frank said.

Slughorn knitted his eyebrows together in confusion. "No matter — Dumbledore wants to see you. Now."

Ariah sighed, walking out from behind Frank. He gave her a concerned look as she joined Slughorn.

Inside Dumbledores office, Dumbledore, McGonagall and Sprout were all gathered awaiting the Lupin's arrival.

"Ah, Miss Lupin, thank you Professor Slughorn," Dumbledore dismisses the potions Professor.

"I suppose I'm getting expelled now..."