SIXTEEN

To Ariah's surprise, Meeka showed up at the Lupin household during their breakfast. Ariah had no idea that she would be staying for the rest of the break but apparently her parents did.

"My aunt got arrested at some protest thing and my uncle was out for the rest of the break. My parents couldn't seem to be bothered to answer the phone and thus — here I am!"

After indulging in Hope Lupin's famous peppermint pancakes (Lyall had burnt his batch causing Hope to take over), they gathered on the couch to open presents.

Things settled down, Hope giving each child a cup of hot chocolate. The four of them got comfortable in the living room, How the Grinch Stole Christmas playing on the tv.

Cindy Lou just met the grinch when Ariah realized she had more present to give someone. But she didn't want to give it to him in front of Meeka and Remus.

Before she realized her feelings for Sirius, the gift didn't seem all too mushy. But now that she admitted to herself that she does, indeed, fancy the hell out of Sirius Black — well the gift she made for her best friend these last few months seemed to scream 'I love you.'

She sighed. Maybe she wouldn't end up giving it to him after all... not right now anyway.

"Hey Ariah." Sirius rolled onto his side, whispering into Ariah's ear. "I have something for you. Come to your room with me?"

Ariah nodded, following Sirius to stand up. "We'll be back."

Meeka watched as Sirius and Ariah walked up the stairs with confusion.

"I thought she was mad at him," Meeka said, nodding towards the two.

"He got over himself and apologized," Remus said with an eye roll. "I kind of really wanted to punch him in the throat."

Meeka let out a rich laugh, sending Remus heart a flutter.

"Trust me — So do I," Meeka said with a smirk. "But like, not kind of. I just really want to punch him in the throat."

Remus let out a chuckle. "Sirius has that effect on people."

"So I've noticed." Meeka gave Remus a soft smile, leaning into his shoulder.

"Hey. So I know why Ariah hangs out with Sirius and James — because she has bad taste in men —" Remus let out a laugh, throwing his head back slightly. "But why do you hang out with them?"

"Why does everyone ask me that?" Remus asked.

"Because you clearly have morals! Which the others clearly do not."

Remus shook his head. "At first it was truthfully just because they were my roommates and without Ariah I'm not very good at making friends. But now — I mean they know what I am and don't look at me any differently where others would surly have me kicked out of hogwarts."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "In summery — they're good friends. And to be completely honest — I'm not such a saint."

Meeka faked a gasp, an amused smirk written on her face. "Let me guess... you leave empty milk in the fridge and steal Ariah's last piece of pie."

"Of course Ariah complained to you about all that." Remus rolled his eyes.

Meeka giggled. "She complains to me about everything."

"Being her roommate really sucks, doesn't it?" Remus asked with a humorous smile.

"Oh it's awful. But I guess I love her.."

"Yeah I suppose I do too."

Ariah plopped onto her bed. "You got me a gift?"

"I did," Sirius said making his way to his trunk. He pulled out a necklace box wrapped with a bow, placing it on Ariah's lap.

She smiled and opened the box. Inside was a silver necklace with a circular pendant. Inside the pendant were engraved stars in a certain formation.

Ariah chuckled.

"This is not Canis Major," she said with an amused smile.

Sirius had a large smirk on his face. "It is! I'm right there."

He pointed to the biggest star engraved in the necklace, his cheeky smile filling Ariah with all of the feels.

"That's not you're real present," he said with a chuckle — a pink blush showing on his cheeks. "Here."

Ariah held onto the necklace in her hand, thinking of how she could get away with wearing it nonetheless.

She opened the second box, revealing a beautiful bracelet with different looking marbles attached to them.

"They're planets," Sirius said. "It even has Pluto — I know how you feel about Pluto."

"Pluto is just so underrated," Ariah said with a soft smile. "Thank you Sirius."

She slipped the bracelet on and put the necklace neatly on her dresser. She'd put it on later.

"I love it so much." She stood up from her bed. "I actually have something for you too..."

She grabbed the box from under her bed, putting it in Sirius' lap.

"But until yesterday you hated me," Sirius said questionably.

"I started making it over the summer," she explained. "Then I continued making it throughout the school year and finished it before... well you know..."

Sirius smiled. "Thank you."

"You haven't even opened it yet." Ariah crossed her arms over her chest.

"Right," he chuckled.

Sirius took the lid off of the box revealing a thick, tan knitted blanket. It was huge too — big enough to cover the whole gang. He picked it up, wrapping it around himself.

Instantly he felt overcome with the sense of comfort and serenity and.... love.

The blanket smelled like Ariah. A light scent of dittany and cement after rainfall.

"I used my wand to make it... dad said that if you use your wand to make things and think of something while doing it — you can implement that into the blanket...."

Ariah's cheeks went red. "So I — well I honed into all the calming feelings I could and tried to put it into the blanket... I didn't feel anything though so..."

"No! It totally worked," Sirius said. "I love it... thank you."

"Well... what're friends for." As she said 'friends' she felt a sinking sensation inside her.

Ariah couldn't feel it, but Sirius had the same sinking sensation as she called him her friend.