TWENTY-SEVEN

White moonlight reflected down on the pitch black water of the Black Lake. Despite the calm of the wind and rippling of the water, Ariah was deeply upset as she sat with her feet dangling off the edge of the pier.

It was well after midnight by now. Ariah had been sitting at the edge for what felt like hours. Waiting.

It seemed her roommate had planned to humiliate her by faking an interest. How she was able to read peoples emotions and yet always be so wrong about their intentions, she didn't know.

Ariah stood, realizing that the longer she sat out there, the sooner she'd be thrown into life long detention. But before she could turn to head back to the castle, a jolt of a stunning spell hit her, throwing her back into the black lake.

The bitter cold temperature of the lake in late November pierced Ariah to the bones. She cane up for air, placing her hands on the pier.

Cleated loafers stomped down on her right hand. If she could feel her fingers, she would have cried out in pain but luckily, they were numb from the cold.

Ariah looked up, seeing Marlene towering over her. She knelt down to be level with Ariah who's lips had turned purple as her teeth chattered from the cold.

"You're going to stay away from Sirius," Marlene said. "And stop interfering with our relationship."

"I-I'm not even d-doing anything," Ariah protested through the chills.

"You're in love with him, no?"

"No!"

"Then why wear that necklace? I'm not stupid, Lupin. Sirius doesn't want you around him, can't you pick up a hint."

"W-What are you —"

"Isn't it obvious? He chose me, Ariah. I asked him to choose and he didn't hesitate to pick me. You are nothing more than the means to an end to him. So stop making a fool of yourself — or else you're life will be utter hell at my hands."

Marlene smiled menacingly, standing back to her feet. She took her foot off of Ariah's fingers, pushing her back into the water before cantering off.

Ariah came back up for air, cursing Marlene as she tried to pull herself back on to the pier.

"Ariah? Is that you? Ouch — oh lumos." Dylan came into view above her.

She blew her bangs out of her face as she crouched to better see Ariah.

"Dyl... you were right..." Ariah said through tears.

Dylan sighed, extending an arm. "I won't say I told you so because you look completely devastated and I'm not that kind of friend."

Ariah gave a thankful, chattering smile as she allowed Dylan to pull her out of the lake. Once to their feet, Dylan took off her coat, wrapping it around Ariah's shoulders

"C'mon we have to tell Professor Sprout or Dumbledore," she said.

"We're not telling anyone, Gwendylan," she said. "I'm fine."

"Well if we're not telling anyone, will you let me curse her?" Dylan asked as they began walking to the castle.

"No," Ariah said with a sigh. "You came. You knew she'd do something and so you came... thank you."

Dylan waved her hand nonchalantly. "I just wish I had gotten here sooner so I could have blasted her in the depths of the Black Lake. No one messes with my puff..."

Ariah chuckled, stopping abruptly and wrapping Dylan into a hug. "You're the greatest."

"What is this? Why are you doing this?"