Chapter 2 - Baby Meets R5

Ryan's P.O.V
I heard the door banging, the mean caretaker is working today. He hits everyone...I hope he doesn't notice me.

Riker's P.O.V
Ross acted a bit weird during dinner when mom told us she wanted to adopt another kid. After I showered, I went to his room, he was rereading his script for Austin & Ally. He's read that like a hundred times but I think he's just upset about the adoption thing.

"Rossy?" I whispered knocking on the door

"Yeah?" He replied looking up

I walked over and took a seat next to him, "What was up with the whole "are we not good enough for you" thing back at dinner?"

"I don't know...I'm just afraid that I'm not good enough" he says slowly

"Why?"

"Because look at you! Look at Rydel and Rocky! You guys are all so perfect, I'm just afraid that with another kid, moms gonna totally ignore me" he said at last

"Mom loves us all equally Ross, don't worry that she will forget you. How'd you think I felt when Rydel and Rocky came along?" I said trying to comfort him

"I don't know..." he sighed

"Come on, cheer up. We won't know what happens until we bring him home" Riker says getting up, "Get some rest, tomorrow we meet our new brother"

The Next Day...

Stormie's P.O.V
After breakfast, we drove straight to the orphanage. The scene was the same as yesterday, other couples looking to adopt, kids running about. I spotted Ryan sitting alone with his belongings next to him. Everyone else stayed in the car with Mark except Riker, I didn't want Ryan to be scared.

"Is that him?" Riker pointed to Ryan

"Yes" I smiled

"Wow, he's so...young" he commented, "Is he crying?"

I walked closer and saw that he was indeed crying. Not the bursting out crying but the silent type. He stopped moving when I got closer and looked up slowly. I crouched down so I was face to face with him.

"Hi sweety, do you remember me?" I said softly

He looked at me for a second and nodded

"My name is Stormie and this is Riker" I said pointing to my eldest son. Ryan looked at him for a second then looked back at me.

"I was wondering if you would like to come home with me" I smiled

He looked nervous now, almost frightened.

"I promise we won't hurt you sweety, we are very nice" I assured him, "what are you scared of?"

He didn't say anything, then I realized he's only responded with motion.

"You are allowed to speak honey" I said quickly

He looked at me, "I am?" He whispered. For the first time, I heard his sweet fragile voice.

"Yes, of course you're allowed" I smiled

"So sweety, tell me what you're scared of" I asked again. He looked around and slowly pointed to the big caretaker

"Why?"

"He hits me...like they did" he whispers as more tears poured down his face.

"Like the people in the last orphanage?" I asked

He nodded slowly then sniffled

"Don't worry, he won't hurt you anymore" Riker says suddenly, "I'll protect you". I looked to my son who had this determined look that I've never seen before.

"So would you like to come home with us?"

"Y-yes" he says softly

I stood up and offered my hand, he stared at it then took it hesitantly. We walked over to the head caretaker's office to sign the papers.

"Okay sweety, I'm gonna go sign some papers, Riker here will take care of you. Okay?" I asked

He nodded and walked over to Riker obediently.

I signed the required paper work including changing his last name from Lance to Lynch. The head caretaker gave me the complete file on Ryan and thanked me for taking him.

"We weren't sure he was ever going to get adopted since he's scared of everyone that approached him. You managed to get though him, he must see something in you worth opening up to" she said as she walked me to the door

"I just hope I can piece him back together, he's already so broken" I said sadly

"I remembered when he first came, he wouldn't move in fear of getting hit. Out of everyone that came from the closed orphanage, he was the most obedient, I think it was because of the strict rules they had" she explains, "also another thing, he is under the protection of CPS. They will send a representative to check up on him in maybe about a month to see how he's doing"

"Okay, thank you so much Mrs. Smoak" I shook her hand then walked out.

Riker's P.O.V
My phone went off and Ryan flinched, he started to shake and I don't know what to do. Note to self, loud noises scare him. I saw mom come back out and tried to calm him down.

"What happened?" Mom asked when she came over

"My phone went off and scared him" I explained

"It's okay, do noises scare you?" Mom asked Ryan. He nodded staring down at his feet.

"Can I carry you?" Mom asks

"W-will you drop me?" He stutters

"Heavens no! Never will I drop you" mom says quickly. It took a bit but he finally let mom pick him up, I can tell he was holding on for his life. We walked past the receptionist and she waves us goodbye.

"Goodbye Ryan! Have fun!" She said as we walked out.

Dad pulled the van up and mom handed him over to me. I felt his ribcage pressed up against my chest and he was way too light for his age. When I got in the van, he started trembling, he saw everyone else and buried his face into the crook of my neck.

"Stop staring guys" I whispered rubbing Ryan's back

After a while, he finally looked up and seemed to calm down a bit. I think he's so scared to do something wrong, he just doesn't do anything at all.

"You can look around if you want" I whispered. He looked at me then looked back down at my shirt. I realized he was looking at the little bird emblem that represented "Aeropostale"

Rocky leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Where are his shoes?"

"He doesn't have any" I whispered back

I heard a camera click as Ryan's little arms squeezed me harder. He got scared of the noise and started shaking again. A few minutes later, my phone vibrated and I took it out

@rydelr5:
Hey R5Family! Say hi to our newest brother Ryan!

Below was a picture of us taken just before. I looked at Rydel and she sent me a thumbs up and a smile.

I realized as the time went on, he got more comfortable sitting on my lap and eventually fell asleep. He looked so adorable everyone started taking pictures. Soon came the nickname: Papa Riker