Chapter 34 - Baby Meets The Road to Recovery

Ryan's P.O.V
I woke up and it wasn't cold. I can't remember the last time I laid on a bed, the last time I felt warm. My body hurts and my throat burns. The room was dark, I hear beeping noises like the last time mama took me to a...hospital? Mama...why don't you want me anymore?

I heard the door open, the light made me shut my eyes. Someone walked in, their shoes made clicking noises like the shoes Delly wears.

"Looks like our little patient is up!" I opened my eyes slowly, there was a woman next to me. I looked to my right and saw a man, he looked familiar.

"Dr. Lee will be in soon" she says to the man. The man nodded and got up, I tried to move because I though he was going to hurt me.

"It's okay Ryan, I won't hurt you" he says showing me his hands. I looked at him but I cant remember where I know him from. "My name is William...I'm your uncle"

I tried to say something but my voice didn't work.

"Okay, so what do we have here?" A man wearing a white coat came in. "Ryan, age 4, other information is unknown for classified reason...never the less! Let's take a look at our patient"

The woman took out papers and gave them to the man.

"So we did a full body check up while he was asleep and there seems to be nothing wrong other than his injuries. He has a fractured larynx but should heal in a month or two. Until then he shouldn't try to talk or it may further the damage. He has two broken ribs and minor injuries to his head, an MRI would be needed to determine if there are anything serious. The most serious injury is his broken leg and foot. His left leg was broken in two places and we will be putting a cast on him in about an hour"

"How soon can he be out?" Uncle William asks

"As of now, he is deprived of everything essential to the human body, earliest I can say is maybe Christmas Eve" the other man sighs

"Okay thank you doctor"

The doctor and the woman left after a few minutes. Now I'm all alone with uncle William...I still can't remember him.

He's staring at me and I feel really scared. Then I saw he was crying, why? I tried to wipe his tears away but my hand feels really heavy. I managed to move it up from under the blanket, he saw what I was doing and took my hand.

"I just can't believe you're really here..." he says suddenly. "People told me that you were dead but I didn't believe it. You're strong just like your mother" he smiles. Is he talking about mama?

"Do you want to know about your real mother?" He asks. I never really thought about her, only when I wonder why she didn't want me.

"Your mother, she was a fighter. She worked as a veterinarian in a big animal hospital. Working with animals was her dream so I suppose she was living the life she wanted. When you were coming along your father took time off from work and even took parenting classes. Although I never really got along with him through the 10 minute prison visits, he made her happy. Which was good enough for me" he stopped and wiped his tears away. "My only regret in life was that I couldn't take you in. If things were different, you wouldn't be here suffering. It's my fault..."

There was a knock on the door. He put my hand back under the sheet and got up. A few seconds later he came back with a plate of food and a small box.

"Uh..someone left you a present. Early Christmas I think" he says setting down the plate. The smell of food made me a little sick but I couldn't say anything. "Don't worry, you don't have to eat a lot, it's not good to make you eat so much, your body wouldn't be used to it" he says then picked up what looked like a remote. The bed started moving which scared me a little, I realized that I'm kind of sitting up now. The bed bent in a funny way but I feel better sitting up now. I looked at the man sitting next to me, he smiled at me like Dada used to. He's my uncle, uncle Will.

Stormie's P.O.V
I was alone, everyone went off to do something. I sat on the comfortable hotel bed, tears rolled down my cheeks as I felt the soft fabric of Ryan's blankey. I don't know why, it's been almost a year since I held him but something doesn't feel right. Nothing feels right anymore. I took a deep breath then turned to hear my phone ring. To my surprise it wasn't any of my babies calling.

"Hello?" I pushed the answer button

"Stormie! How are you?"

"May! I'm fine, how are you?" I answered

"Oh I'm doing great, I just wanted to call to tell you that all the reservations for the cabins and such at the resort has been done" she explained. Usually Mark does all the reservations but since we're on tour, he didn't have the time.

"Oh that's great! Thank you" I replied. There was a pause.

"Uhmm...so about Ryan. Cade and Orion might ask where he is and I never really told them what happened. So please forgive me if they bring him up" she says awkwardly

"It's okay..." I held back the tears

"How are the kids?" She changed the subject, although not very much.

"They're fine, went out on a shopping spree a few days ago for Christmas. Bought some interesting stuff and some inappropriate shirts but the rest of the haul is okay" I thought of how irritated I was when Riker came back with those ridiculous shirts.

"Haha, well they are teenagers. My boys are okay too, Tristian had his wisdom teeth removed yesterday, you should see the video! Man, the nitrous oxide made him so loopy, back than they just ripped it out. They have it easy these days" she laughs

"Luckily my babies hasn't had to remove their wisdom teeth yet. Not ever Riker! I guess their teeth came in perfect" I laughed along

For just that moment, I forgot all that was on my mind. It's been years since I had a proper chat with May and it really helped me take my mind off things...just for that moment.