Baby Meets Letter From Dada

Hey Buddy,

Your mother finally sat me down, we read every letter from the book. So here's mine to you...

"DNA doesn't make us a family, love does" I wanted to tell you that once you're old enough and the world around you tries to bring you down. I guess, now is the time to tell you.

For as long as I can remember, it's always been Me, Mama and R5. When Ellington came along, I accepted him as my sixth son. When the day came that Mama wanted to adopt, deep down I wasn't sure we can handle another child. Raising 5 back then was already a challenge and I'm surprised we made it out alive. I've accepted long ago that your mother is always right so when she wanted another child, I went along with it. From the moment she noticed you, everyone else in the orphanage was irrelevant. She only had eyes for you and no one else.

When we got home that night, I asked her if you were the one. I already knew you were the one she chose but I needed confirmation. I had always thought that she wanted another girl like Rydel.

We weren't exactly sure how R5 would react to adoption, they were always a bit sensitive about having another person to fight over for attention. Once your Mama and I joked about having another kid after Ryland and they all started crying, complaining how we don't need another kid. Although we were joking at that time, I always suspected that Mama wanted another kid to baby.

As the years went by, I realized what she meant. R5 went off on their own adventures and we were always left at home alone. For most couples, it's what they want but you don't realize how much you miss babying your kids until they leave you.

By the time everyone else has grown up, we thought they wouldn't mind as much if we adopt someone now. The night we told them, Ross revealed that he was still a bit sensitive. He got over it the moment he met you, the moment they all met you, all of that went away. I think it's because they're all teenagers, they like the idea of having a toddler around. It was clear that Riker took a liking to you more than the rest. They all love you so much and losing you broke them...it broke all of us. Speaking of Riker...he's not doing so well. Recently, he's been having nightmares and wakes up sobbing. He says he sees you and that you blame him for not being able to protect him. I know if you were here, you would never make anyone feel bad. Riker just misses you so much, I'd be lying if I say that he's the only one dreaming about you. Ross and Ryland has also but they're usually just simple dreams.

I never though I can just pour my feelings into a book that you will never read, but it really helps. You never had a normal happy life...I just hoped that I gave you one while you were with us. I will never forget you.

Your Dada forever