Marriage Made In Heaven - Chapter 17

It was fair to say things had not got well but as Luang pointed out they could have been worse, I was still alive and Ethan had not fallen from grace. So all was not lost.

I stayed in the temple for a few hours but as instructed I returned to the cottage where Ethan was to face his first test. He was to sleep next to me.

Four days later he had not set foot in the cottage or the bed.

"He cannot sleep unless in that bed with you, it is forbidden," Isobel said her temper still flaring.

And that meant Ethan had been without sleep for four days now.

"Had it not been for Laung turning up when he did, you would surely be dead, and Ethan fallen from grace. It took seven of his monks, plus Zach, Raguel, and me to get him off you," she said shaking her head. "He will return and I see clearly now the game we are to play. Luang is true in his words. Use your womanly ways, do not make eye contact let him try to obtain it, speak yes and no answers only when necessary, otherwise body language will do. A cold shoulder here, back turn there, leave the room when he enters, enter a room to collect something and ignore his presence. This will drive him insane. I will throw a ball, you will stand at his side, man and wife. He will attend to you, dance with you and all the while the culprit will see that their magic has failed."

"Has it?" I said as it seemed to be working its charm alright.

"To their eye, you will be the wife he needs, I will train you in all protocol and Raguel will help with dancing," she advised.

"Will I now," Raguel said as he entered.

"Yes you will," Isobel said with a smile. "You appear tired."

"Not as tired as some," he said with a smile. "He falters. I feel it. A friend asked after Libby today and his head turned waiting on the answer. So the cracks begin. Only hairline but it is a crack non the less."

"Wonderful," Isobel said. "Libby will go for her healing and then return. He should be falling off his feet with exhaustion by then."

I did again as instructed. Saw to our son and received my healing, told Luang of the apparent good news. He seemed as optimistic as I was... which was zero!

Daniel was being so well behaved at the temple, he loved it there and they idolised him. I expressed more breast milk to get him through till my morning visit and kissed him goodbye.

I returned with Isobel to the cottage and ventured to the kitchen. I made a sandwich, and fetched a drink which I took back to the bedroom.

I placed them on the bedside cabinet. Along side a DVD and the remote control.

I walked into the bathroom and drew a bath. When I returned to the bedroom Ethan stood leant against the wall looking like death warmed up.

I didn't make eye contact just a glance of recognition that he was there. I walked to the cupboard took out a towel and placed them at the end of his side of the bed.

"Your bath is drawn, your supper is there and a film is ready in case you want to watch it when you come to bed. Goodnight," I said and took my dressing gown off. I climbed into bed in my sexy nightwear that Isobel provided.

He didn't say a word. Just picked up the towels and walked into the bathroom with his supper.

Later I felt him climb into bed, I budged over to give him ample room. He didn't put his film on just lay there in the dark. I listened to his breathing change and knew he was asleep but dare not look to see. I forced myself to sleep.

Waking early, I snuck out of the room. Fixed his breakfast and left it by the bed, along side a fresh change of clothes and took the discarded ones to be washed. I would have done it under normal circumstances so I reasoned with myself that I should continue.