Marriage Made In Heaven - Chapter 46

We gave Ethan time to pray and drove on. Zach helped Ethan back to the van to lay down. I still didn't have the guts to look him in the eye let alone talk to him.

"Zach, you watched him fall I assume," I asked as he came to sit with me as I drove, he nodded and took a deep breath.

"Did it hurt?" I asked.

"Not as much as losing his son," he replied and his words stung.

"I can't bring myself to look at him and I don't know why," I whispered as I fought the endless tears that fell every time someone mentioned my baby.

"It is because you are human and he is a fallen angel," he replied.

"But I can look at you," I replied.

"No you talk to me, rarely. Usually you are replying to Millie not me. You never look at me," he replied and I realised he was right. I would either look out of the window, at my hands, the dashboard anything but him.

"Oh, I'm sorry Zach," I replied my eyes barely flicking towards him as I watched the road.

"Thank you for trying," he replied and I could hear the gratitude in his voice. "Maybe you could try looking at Ethan. It will make him stronger."

"I think I am scared of looking at him and seeing the similarities to Daniel," I admitted.

"And you think he does not see Daniel in you?" Zach asked. "Daniel had an equal measure of both his parents and where as you recognise Ethan in the physical features, he recognises you in everything else. The way he curled his toes, laughed out loud at things he found funny which most people wouldn't consider amusing because he inherited your sense of humour, he was ticklish, moody when tired, stubborn and loved to cuddle."

I nodded and bit my lip to fight the tears. "Yeah he did," I said as the stupid tears fell and Zach moved to put his arm around me.

"Millie can look at you," I said.

"We discussed falling before when everyone gave her a hard time as the human amongst angels. We prepared for it. She knew it would be a challenge but she fights the urge to turn a blind eye and instead she faces it. It gets easier apparently," he said making me wonder what the hell Millie been through for them to contemplate falling.

"It's like a scary movie where you cover your eyes because you don't want to see the frightening bit," Millie said as she came to sit in the front with us. "Instead you face it and realise it is not scary at all. It is beautiful," she said and smiled at Zach. I braved a look at Zach and she was right. Until he said "Boo," and frighten the life out of me.

"I nearly drove off the road then," I complained as he smiled at his prank.

"Whilst you are feeling brave go look at Ethan. It's your turn to play nurse," he said as he kissed my cheek.

"Ermmm," I said thinking of an excuse, then remembering that I was to be strong and face it. I pulled over and Millie took over driving as Zach lay with his head on her lap talking and planning where we were going.

I walked into the back and just as I looked up I swear I saw Ethan's mother disappear.

"It is ok, I won't tell," I whispered.

She reappeared. We ran into each others arms, crying our hearts out. She looked ill. Of course she did, she had lost a son and grandson, I thought as I hugged her.

"You are unwell?" I asked.

She dismissed it with a shake of the head as unimportant in the scheme of things.