Marriage Made In Heaven - Chapter 43

The weather was terrible so Millie and Charlotte decided they might stay at Mark's if it got any worse. The door knocked and I opened it expecting to see Stephen but instead it was Zach. I was floored. I must have blinked twenty times before believing my eyes.

"Why are you here?" I asked once I got my mouth moving again and I automatically looked for danger.

He looked about ready to fall off his feet, wait no... thud!

I dragged him through the door with all my strength. In the process of doing that I yelled in my head "Any angels out there, you have a man down here, man down.." before realising what I was seeing.

Man down, No... Fallen angel... Yes. SHIT!!

I grabbed the my phone and text Millie. "Come home," simple as that. She replied. "Seriously?" I replied. "Yes," and when she didn't reply I knew she was on her way. It was our understanding that if we needed each other we would just say that and nothing else. Keep it simple and explain later.

I dragged Zach through to the couch and helped him up onto it. He was in a lot of pain. I held his hand and covered him in a blanket as I waited on Millie. When I eventually heard her key in the door, I ran towards it to meet her.

"What is going on?" she asked as she walked in. I took Charlotte in case she dropped her in shock.

"I think he fell," I said and burst into tears as the shock hit me.

"Who Daniel? Where did he fall? Is he ok? Did he hurt himself? Do we need to take him to the hospital?" she asked rushing into the front room expecting to find Daniel injured. She stopped dead in her tracks, stumbled back a few steps and placed her hand over her mouth in shock.

"The door knocked, I answered and he fell through it," I explained.

Lottie stared and didn't seem to recognise the man who made mummy start to cry as Millie ran over to him, flinging herself over him as she sobbed her heart out, kissing him over and over in disbelief. Daniel woke with the noise and rolled off his beanbag before walking over to me as I stood holding Lottie. I bent and picked him up as she toddled over to her parents to investigate.

"I'll turn the shower on," I said as I walked away hugging Daniel and wondering what was going on. I prepared the shower and returned to help Millie move Zach. We put the children to play as we hauled him through. We got him undressed and into the cubicle, letting the warm water run over him. He was ice cold, injured and as he started to come around I left her to speak with him.

I returned to watch the children. They were both sat still watching the door where Millie was with Zach.

"Dada," Lottie said pointing.

"Yes Dada," I replied smiling at her.

Daniel looked confused he looked around the room, "Dada?" he called. "Dada?" he called again. Each time looking around.

"No Dada," I told him and watched him burst into tears as he still looked around for his Dada.

He got up and hurried towards the window looking out into the street. "Dada?" he called looking out.

"Daddy is not there darling," I said lifting him away from the window. He wriggled out of my arms and ran to the front door banging on it and yelling for his daddy.

"Daddy is not coming," I said but as the door knocked I jumped out of my skin. I don't know who I expected to see as Stephen looked at screaming Daniel and asked what was wrong.

"He wants his daddy," I explained.

"Has his father been to visit?" Stephen asked shocked as I never mentioned my ex and this was a first.