Marriage Made In Heaven - Chapter 47

As Millie laughed and giggled about sex and the likes, I knew she was using it as escapism from the real world we were living in but I just couldn't get myself to think of it without rolling my eyes and shaking me head.

"Ok spit it out," Millie said as I stood at the counter buying some lunch to take back to the van.

"What?" I asked.

"The face, the over thinking face," she said nodding to mine. "I know that face and it usually leads to something disturbing happening so spit it out."

I sighed and chewed my lip as I thought of a way to tell her but instead shrugged my shoulders.

"Fucking hell, just say it!" she said exasperated.

"Fine, I don't think we should be sleeping with them unless we can be sure they won't be harmed as a consequence and I think we should tell them about Stephen and Mark as it would only be fair because they couldn't make a union and we did."

"WHAT!?" Millie said in disbelief.

"We slept with other men and you were one answer away from being engaged to Mark and moving in with him and Lottie," I replied quickly.

Her eyes filled with tears at the mention of the name.

"I also think sex is your way of turning a blind eye to the reality of our situation and we know that is dangerous. We can't hide. We are just two fucked up, childless, humans! With ex husbands who are fallen angels."

I watched the tears fall as Millie knew I was right.

"Every human has a guardian angel or angels dependant on how great their need. We have been banished. We don't have anyone. Why anger the powers that be by testing if they will turn up and hand out a bit of discipline for the sake of nookie? Ethan would not be able to take the wrath. I don't want to tempt fate. I want to keep him safe. I 'need' to protect him. I failed with Daniel but I won't fail with him... I can't!"

"WE!" Millie snapped. "We failed to protect Daniel," Millie stormed off.

I collected the lunch and brought it back to the van. Millie was bashing about in the back in temper.

"Your EX is awake!" Millie snapped as she stormed past me. "I've told them about the men we slept with, hope you are happy now."

I walked in see Zach looking shell shocked. I turned to Ethan who was propped up against the wall with a pillow looking just as bad.

"I'm sorry but I thought it was only right that you knew," I replied looking at them both. "The last time we saw you both you had new wives, we were told the union was made. So far as we were concerned we were never seeing you again and you both consummating your asses off to make more babies for the linage. We didn't expect to find anyone, we weren't looking, it just... happened. We knew the risk of ruining their lives by having them in ours but we were selfish and kept them around. We don't know why, we just did and the kids like them. They were good men."

Both were silent but Zach nodded. Ethan closed his eyes and lay down to rest to avoid looking at me.

"I'll leave your lunch here," I said and left the van to walk in the village where we had stopped. They would need time to let it sink in. Millie was sat outside in a mood so if they had questions I am sure she would answer them.

I sat down on some steps outside a shop and played with a puppy who was running around. Ugly little runt but cute as hell.

"Hi," I said to it as I picked it up and gave it a cuddle. It wiggled and whimpered so I gave it some of my water to cool it down. "Poor little thing, you too hot, my baby boy would have loved you," I said and got teary as I imagined Daniel pointing at the puppy and wanting to stroke him. He loved doggies and had we not been in the situation we were I would have got him one but now I would never get the opportunity and I regretted not seeing him playing with his first pet.