Chapter Twenty-One

“Where is she?”

 I shouted franticly. “Where is my mother?” I pushed pass the crowd of people.

One of the paramedics grabbed my arms. “Necole?” But it came out as Nacole.

I grabbed the paramedic. “Where is she?” I asked calmly. “Oh she’s fine Necole.”

I tried to get out of her tight grasp. “How the hell are you going to tell me that when she’s been in a accident!” I screamed.

I bolted towards the crowd. I felt arms trying to grab at me as I ran farther through the crowd.

“Necole!” The paramedic shorted over the crowd. I didn’t turn back, I kept on running.  I was almost close to seeing what was going on when I felt another arm grab me.

“Necole.”

It was Evelyn. “I’m so sorry about your ma girl.” Her brown eyes were shining with tears.

“What happened to her?” I whispered.

Evelyn’s mouth opened but nothing came out.

“Ev, what happened to her?” I ask louder.  Then I took off in the crowd again.

“Necole!” Evelyn shouted. “I’m going to find my mom.” I say over my shoulder.

Finally I reach the front of the crowd. My mother’s car was ripped in two and the air bags were out. I felt sick. The other car was turned over and about twenty feet from my mothers.  Then I saw a stretcher with someone on it but they were covered in a white cloth. You could even see the blood soaking through it.

“Necole.”

This was not the time to be calling after me.

I turned to see Nathan. He held out his arms and I took them. I did not care if we were broken up. I just really needed him right now.

He kissed my forehead. “Go.”

I let him go and went towards the stretcher. “Is this her?” The other paramedic nodded.

“Can I see her?” He nodded again.

I slowly pulled down the cover.

“Necole? Necole! Wake up Nicky your having a bad dream!”

I shot up from my bed. My breathing was heavy. I placed my hand on my chest. I felt beads of sweat dripping down my face.

“Thank God.” My mother sighed. “Are you alright?” She placed a hand on my knee.

I swallowed hard. “Yeah.” I nodded. “Just a bad dream. Nothing I can’t handle.”

My mother nodded. “What to talk about it?”

“I-I just thought I was going to lose you.”  I felt a few tears fall from my eyes as my mother held me she brushed the hair from off my face and kissed my forehead.

“Come on Nicky.” She patted my shoulder. “It’s elevenish. Do you want to stay in or?”

I wiped my face. “Can you drop me off?”

She nodded. “Sure baby. Now go get dressed.”She looked at her watch. “We’ll make it their around your lunch time.”  

I quickly took a shower and changed my clothes. Thinking about the nightmare I had about my mother.

Is this a sign God?

I grabbed my stuff and met my mom at the door. When I got in the car, I put my head on the window thinking about how Evelyn was going to shit a brick.

“Where the hell where you? You didn’t even think to call? I was going to… Uhh. I don’t even want to look at you right now.” Evelyn says at our table.

Mya rolled her eyes. “Were you sick earlier?”

“Bad dream.” I replied. “Where’s Felicia?”

Mya shrugged.

Then I saw Nathan walking out of the cafeteria.

 “I soon come back”

“Where is she going?” Evelyn says.

I followed Nathan towards his locker. He was with some girl with their back turned to me.

Even when they stopped they didn’t notice me.

I cleared my throat. “Can I talk to you?” I said but it came out as more of a hoarse whisper.

Nathan slightly turned around. “Don’t you see I’m busy?” He turned more so that I could see the girl he was talking too.

Alyssa Anderson.

She gave a little wave.

 Hoe. I thought. He could do a little better than that.

I sighed. “I promise it will be quick.”

He exchanged some last words with the hoe before turning back to me.

“Yes?”

“I just wanted to talk to you,” I looked up at him. “See how you’ve been.”

His usual blue eyes looked dull with his bored expression.

 “Oh you want to keep more things from me now right?”

I tighten my grip on my books. “Nathan it’s not like that.”

“Then what is it then? Huh Necole?”

I looked past him. “It was just a stupid dare.” I looked back at him again. He straightened his posture.

 “If it was just a stupid dare why didn’t you tell me?” he said sternly.

“What about your kid?” I say avoiding the question. “Forgot about that didn’t you?”  I let out a little laugh.

He looked around then grabbed my hand. “Come on.”

“Where the hell are you taking me? Nathan!” I tried to get out of his grip but I was useless. He brought me out to the courtyard, which was close to empty. I sat down on the closest seat while he bent down to get at eye level with me.

“I was going to tell you I just didn’t know when.”

“And then what about Ava? Your crazy ass baby-mama.” I folded my arms.

“I didn’t even know you guys were friends before you told me.”

I looked at him. Not knowing what to say. We held each other’s gaze before I broke the silence. “Why did we break up?” I whispered.

He sat down beside me. “Because we forgot how to trust each other.”

“But we can build on what is left.” I turned to see his reaction. He didn’t move just kept on looking forward.

“It doesn't work like that Necole.” He said.

I looked away from him, Feeling a lump in my throat.

This can’t be it. I thought to myself.

“Kiss me.” Tell him. “And tell me that you don’t have any feelings for me. Then I’ll go.”

Without hesitating he moved my chin with his finger and kissed me. I didn’t move my hands towards him because I was scared of when he would let go.

The he leaned back and looked at me. His eyes, brighter than before.

“I have no feelings for you.”

Then he got up and headed for the school doors.

I could not keep the lump in my throat for any longer. I tried to wipe the tears falling from my eyes but they were coming way to fast.