Chapter Twenty-Four

“Olivia?” I ask knowing already who she is.

“P-P-People call me  J-J-Jewel now.” She stuttered.

“Come on.” I say. “Come in.” I lock the door behind her before quickly grabbing a towel for her and stuffing myself in some clothes.

“Ok so why are you here?” I ask her walking out into the living room.

“What? No hug?” She says. She obviously is not feeling like a wet dog anymore.

“Really Liv- I mean Jewel, What’s up? And what’s with the name change?”

“Well Jewel is my middle name and I got so sick of- Olivia.” She makes her face up in disgust. “But mama kicked me out.” She sighs.

“What! What did you do-wait girl I don’t even want to know.” I shake my head. “I don’t think it will be a problem for you to stay here for a while.” I shrugged. I hope my ma is cool with that.

“Meet me outside.” My mother’s voice said sternly through the phone. I rolled my eyes.

It must be the groceries.

“Ok’ I say before ending the call.

“Don’t she know it’s raining outside?” I say opening the door. Know I see that the sun is peeping out of the grey clouds.

“Wasn’t it just raining?” Olivia/Jewel asks.

“That’s Florida for you.” I shrug.

I see my mom’s car pull up and I go down the stairs of the apartment complex.

“Hey ma. What’s up?”  She gets out the car and hit my phone out of my hands.

“Suspended? You got suspended, and you didn’t even have the nerve to tell me?”

Oh Shit.

“I had the office calling my job today talking about my bad ass child was caught fighting!”

“First of all I wasn’t even fighting.” I mumble picking up my cracked phone.

My mother sighed heavily. “Don’t make me smack you in this parking lot girl.” She said through her teeth.

“Ma I’m sorry-but” I show her my cracked phone that now won’t turn on.

She gave a little laugh,

“That’s on you.”

She pushed pass me and headed up the stairs. I was too pissed to even tell her that Olivia was here, hoping to stay for some time.

“Olivia?” My mother lets out looking back at me.

“I was too busy with my broken phone.” I say not caring about the consequences.

I went to my room and got the house phone. Thank God we didn’t throw it away.

“Hello? Who this is?” Evelyn says with her mouth full.

“Girl, it’s me.” I say.

“Necole? What happened to your phone girl?”

“My ma found out.” I say not needing to explain the rest.

“Oh.” Evelyn says getting it. “Damn girl that sucks.”

“I know.” I say. I look back into the living room to see Olivia across from my mother who was on the phone probably talking to Olivia’s mom Aunt Viviane.

“You can stay with Necole, Olivia.” My mom says getting off the phone.

Olivia/Jewel does not even correct her she just headed to my room.

“Hello Ladies.” Mrs. Reed says. I bet she was actually happy to see someone attend in-school suspension for once.

“This is be like a regular school day, at eleven thirty you will be going to second lunch-”

“Second lunch?” Felicia cuts in. “Oh hell no.”

“At least it’s not third lunch,” Ava towards her gang then shutters in disgust.

“You got a problem with third lunch?” Evelyn says over her shoulder.

“Ladies!” Mrs. Reed says sternly. “I also will not be in the room but you are being recorded, and believe me anything you say and or do will be used against you.” She smiles, showing off her laugh wrinkles and a gap in between her teeth. Then she exits the room.

“¡Yo no puedo creer estas perras! Yo no puedo esperar para salir de aquí tan puedo retorcer los cuellos” Katina asserted.

“The sound of your voice makes me want to strangle myself already.” I say making my girls laugh.

“Listen,” Ava starts. “How about we make a truce? Maybe we can get out on good behavior.”

“Oh ple-”

“We’re listening.” Evelyn says raising her eyebrow.

“Just no bitching, that goes to all of us.” She looks back at Katina.

Katina rolls her eyes and flips Ava off.

“So we good?” She asks.

Evelyn looks back at me then looks back at Ava. “Fine, but don’t think I still won’t whoop your ass.”