Chapter 8

The pack sat around the bed of the severely injured Alpha male, the moment of his death approaching rapidly as the clock ticked. His condition was terrifying, and no matter what the doctors did or tried, it changed nothing. The unfortunate fact was, that the Alpha male was about to die. And none of them could stop it.

Mei was in bits. Not only was she about to lose her mate, but her child would now be left without a father. She refused to let go of his hand, and her sobs weren't the only ones heard in the room.

Toboe and Sky, the youngest members of the pack, were affected heavily, for neither of them had parents, and it was Max who became the fatherly figure towards the two after he took them in. They both joined at different times, and Sky was considered the newer pup compared to Toboe, who had been here his entire life.

Sobs could be heard around the room, as each werewolf took turns to say goodbye to their leader with a heavy hearts. It was heartbreaking, really, to see their Alpha in such a state. He was always so strong, and fearless, and yet here he lay, awaiting death due to some vampires...

Tsume and Kiba stood next to his bed, as the two of them had always been at Max's side since the start. Tsume's brother, Yuudai, had been Max's best friend, and when he passed away Max took it upon himself to give Tsume the best chances possible. Now that the older werewolf was about to die, Tsume felt guilty that he hadn't lived up to those expectations, and felt as if he had failed.

Kiba felt the same. Having always been the one his Alpha went to for advice, he felt guilty in not realizing his motives. If he had, he could have stopped him from leaving the pack's borders, and as such prevented this from happening.

Regardless, Max felt no anger towards either. In fact, even on his deathbed, he surprised them even now.

"I have... an important request for you Kiba," He rasped tiredly, looking up at the blue eyed werewolf.

"What is it?"

"As you know my time is coming to an end," He coughed, "Therefore, when I pass, there will be no Alpha..." He paused for a moment, then continued, "Now it's not traditional, but I'm running out of time... so I must ask you; will you step up as this pack's next Alpha in my place?"

Now it's rare for Kiba to feel shocked; but this really caught him off guard.

"Are you sure I'm right for it?"

Max chuckled weakly, "I couldn't think of a more suitable successor..." He looked at the younger man with a small smirk, "You have the potential... And you won't be alone, everyone will help you along... Please, Kiba, I need to know I'm leaving this pack... With someone reliable to lead it..." He began to cough, covering his mouth as blood showed up on his palm.

Kiba took a few minutes to process the sudden request. He looked up and his eyes met Tsume's, as if asking for his opinion. In response, Tsume gave a small nod, nothing major or dramatic. He was still letting him make his own decision.

Taking one look around him, it was only now he realized how many werewolves were actually in this pack. He wasn't sure if he could lead the same way Max did, but with a small sigh he turned to Max again, "I'll do it..."

Max smiled, "... Thank you." The older werewolf started to cough again, and this made them all flinch. After his coughing fit ended, he reached out and put his hand over Tsume's, grabbing the scarred wolf's attention, ".. It I had only listened to your brother... None of this would have happened..."

Tsume tensed and stared at him, "What do you mean?"

"Yuudai... He had warned me about vampires starting to appear... But I, in my arrogance, refused to believe him... I take responsibility for his death..." He closed his eyes and took a breath, "If I had just listened... I wouldn't be here on this bed, and Yuudai would still be alive..."