t h i r t y - n i n e

I KNEW I HAD TO TELL LIAM. It had been days since I found out... And not telling him, made me uneasy; like I was cheating him in some unforeseen way.

It wasn't as if I felt anything less for him because of Blayze... But Liam had to know about the Soulmate Curse.

"With time, the bond will grow as it has with Liam. And then, he will realise what the bond really is."

Once my memories started to return, it all seemed to make sense. I thought he was the only one for me; that he was my constant and we would be together forever.

But with the Soulmate Curse... Everything was different.

But was that really possible? I loved Liam with all my heart... I loved him from my earliest memory. Would I really choose Blayze instead?

"Weslyn?" Liam's voice echoed throughout my room. He knew. Of course he did. He knew me completely, after all. All he had to do was think of me to know how I felt.

"Aren't y-you supposed to be asleep, Liam?" I asked. "It's way past midnight and-"

"That should be my question," he smiled ever so slightly. "The Alpha needs her rest, you know?"

There was no point in agonising over Blayze Walker or anything else, when Liam was with me. It would only worry him and I had no right to put him through the pain.

"So, I'm supposed to be sound asleep like a good girl..." I smirked, pushing away my stray thoughts. I could only try my best to hide my agony. "What if your Alpha isn't actually a good girl, William?"

"William?" His smile widened.

"Thought I'd give it a go," I replied flatly. "No good?"

For almost a minute, he stared at me, before his smile disappeared; faster than it had arrived. He lifted his hand to my face, making me wonder what he was about to do.

"You know that I can tell, right?" he asked. "I know how you feel, without even looking at or listening to you."

"Well... It was worth a try."

"So, what is it? What's on your mind?"

"I've been thinking for a while, now," I began. "The day I was attacked and lost my memories... Did you know what happened?"

"What?"

Although it wasn't exactly what I was thinking about, I wasn't lying about it being on my mind. Ever since West had changed, the incident from 8 years ago had been at the back of my mind the entire time.

"I mean, are you sure it was West who-"

"This again?" he demanded, his lips set in a straight line. "Lyn, I told you already..."

"Liam..." I stared at him. "Please, just tell me what you remember."

"I guess I can't disobey an Alpha's order, can I?" he sighed. "You were hiding in your room, when I found you... I told you about West's loss of control and your father's death. But when your mother came, she told me to return to my father..."

"Did you leave, then?" I couldn't remember any of that.

"I did, but when I heard you scream, I came running back. I found you, lying on the floor with your back slashed open and West standing over you. He was sort of frozen, I guess. I helped you mother lift you and escape from the house."

"But, you never actually saw it happen..." I trailed off. If Liam never saw West attacking me, then maybe...

"West was there, Lyn. It was only your mother and him. He killed your father and was the only one with the motive for hurting you. He attacked you."

Maybe he didn't.

"Don't worry about it," I told him, pushing away my stray thoughts. "It was just something I was wondering about."

"There's no way it was someone else, Weslyn."

"I trust you."

For almost a minute neither of us spoke, before he yawned and broke the silence.

"I'm actually really tired, now that I think about it." He turned to leave, but I grasped onto his wrist, compelling him to stay.

"Wait..." I called. "There's something else." His gaze shifted to mine and I saw his face flood with confusion.

"What is it?"

"There's something I haven't told you, Liam."