f i f t y - f i v e

"THE MOON IS SUPPOSED TO RISE IN ABOUT HALF AN HOUR," Liam announced, as the pack assembled outside the Pack House. "We don't know when the Bronze Pack plan on attacking us, but at the moment Bryan Mitchell is keeping watch."

"We are the ones with the advantage," I went on. "They don't know that we've been informed of their attack and that puts them at a clear disadvantage... If we want to make use of our advantage, we have to be prepared for them when they arrive."

"As we discussed before, most of you will be based along the river, where most of our enemies will appear. The others will stand guard around the edge of the forest and a group, including West and Bryanna will head South to protect our safe place."

"If you're injured in the fray you should make your way to the safe place as soon as you can to have your wounds treated," West explained. "If your injuries are too severe, use the help of someone who can support you and-"

I sensed him before I heard him.

"Weslyn?" I turned around, knowing that Liam was standing beside me. "Bryan was supposed to keep me updated, but he's not responding."

"What? For how long?"

"About ten minutes ago," Liam replied. "I'd like to think that he's alright... But he's usually so reliable."

"We have to go check on him. Let's..."

"I'll come with you."

I recognised the voice at once.

"Blayze...?"

"You can hear us?" Liam asked.

"The Blood Exchange gave me temporary Gray Wolf characteristics, didn't it? I think that, along with the Soulmate Curse it created a three-way mind link between us."

"If it's a side effect of the Blood Exchange, it will wear off when my blood leaves your system."

"If something has happened to Bryan... Going out there could be dangerous." Before I could even start to reply, Liam had already intervened.

"If it's to protect Weslyn, you're more than welcome to join us."

"Both of you can head to the nearest clearing in the forest," I told them. "I'll meet you there after I talk to West."

After they had both disappeared into the forest, I made my way towards my brother.

"Don't respond out loud to what I'm about to say," I murmured as quietly as I could. His face immediately clouded with confusion, but he was quick to hide it. "Bryan may be in danger."

I was surrounded by a pack of Werewolves with enhanced hearing. If word got out about the possible danger we were all in...

Hell would break loose.

"He hasn't been responding to Liam through the mind link," I went on. "Liam, Blayze and I are going to go check on him."

"If something happens..." Somehow, he managed to maintain a neutral expression. "Tell Liam to let Anna know about it through the mind link."

"If something happens to me," I whispered as I turned away. "I'm counting on you, West."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a single tear trickle down his face.

"I won't let you down... Weslyn."