e p i l o g u e

WE WERE GATHERED IN A CLEARING.

It was night, and the light of the moon shone down on us, as West started to speak.

"Thank you, everyone." His gaze fell on the people gathered in the clearing. "We have gathered, on this night, to have a Ceremony for Beta William Moonstone; to talk about him, to remember him, to honour his memory, to send him off... And to make our promises to him..."

I frowned.

Promises? It was true that promises were important to a Gray Wolf. But... What use was there in promises when a Gray Wolf was dead?

"I promise I will be better."

Better.

 I looked over at West as he continued to talk.

"I was an Alpha that did not deserve his respect. So, on this night, I make the promise that I will be a better West Grayson and leader - one that will deserve his respect... I will be better for Liam and our Pack."

A better West Greyson. A better leader. A better Alpha.

It was not only a promise to Liam and the pack but also to himself.

"Does anyone else want to speak?"

My brother made eye contact with me and made me realise that the question was for me.

No... My throat tightened and my chest clenched. I couldn't speak...

I averted my eyes.

"Anyone?" he repeated.

"I would like to speak."

I could not help but feel relieved, as I heard Bryan's voice and sensed my brother's attention shift to him.

"I promise to be a good Beta." I watched, as he smiled softly at Martyn, who stood beside him. "It was Liam, who trained me as Beta and so, I promise to be a good Beta, for him."

"And I promise to live my life for him as well as for myself," Martyn continued. "Liam was my best friend. I promise to honour his memory. And I promise to live my life to its best."

He was followed by other members of the Pack, who spoke with respect, as they made their promises to their deceased Beta.

But my mind was distracted.

"Weslyn."

A softened voice. A hand on my shoulder. A concerned face.

Blayze.

"Do you want to talk about Liam?"

I stared up at him.

He silently took in my expression and then, nodded. "I understand, Weslyn."

He moved his hand from my shoulder and stepped in front of the Pack.

"Thank you, everyone, for your words." He turned to Bryan and nodded his head. Blayze, then, returned his attention to the Pack and continued. "I would like to say a few words about Liam. Liam was a soulmate, a friend, a leader and... A brother... To those of us who are here. He wasn't perfect but..." He hesitated. "Actually, as a few of you may know, he was my brother... Half-brother. I only found out when it was too late." He closed his eyes. "He hated me. He was hostile and angry. He was consumed by jealousy. And because of that, I guess I hated him, too. But... That was not Liam. That was the darkness that I brought out of him." Blayze opened his eyes and looked at me with a sad smile on his lips. "Liam was actually beautiful. He loved. He had a desire to protect... And help. His had this warmth in him. And... Light. He wasn't perfect but he knew that and he tried to be perfect. And, because of that, he was actually beautiful." He took a deep breath. "Vale, mi frater."