Chapter two

**

"Hermione you need to stop crying, you'll just get sick, please let's go to the three broomsticks and we can talk about this there. You know he'll get over it, he'll see the logic behind your words and come back, you know how he gets." Harry kept reiterating this to Hermione as he pulled her up and helped her walk through the snow towards the three broomsticks. He pushed the door open and looked for a booth, there was one left-which was behind the back of a certain platinum blonde Headboy, as Harry led the way to the table he helped Hermione into the side not facing the blonde and went to get drinks.

Harry came back to see Hermione drawing a circle on the table with her nails, "this was not what I wanted to happen," she kept whispering to herself over and over.

"We both knew that this is what would've happened Hermione, please drink up, it'll help." His attempts to raise her spirits seemed to be feeble and he wished that she would just smile.

"Harry...I like Ron....a lot...but if I acted on those feelings, then it could end so horribly and I could lose everything. I just can't handle that...I'm worried that he'd react the same way he did when we were camping remember? He left us! A voice keeps prodding me into remembering just how easy it was for him to leave."

"No one wants that Hermione, he just...well, let's just forget about him. I understand how you feel but he wouldn't leave you, you know it. Not after everything," Harry sipped his drink and looked around, "now...has Malfoy been giving you any trouble lately? " He noticed the blonde sitting behind Hermione go ridged at the mention of his name.

Hermione shook her head, "not lately...in the beginning it was a total nightmare to be near him but....lately he hasn't been as unbearable."

Harry watched Draco's head turn slightly as his attention was now entirely on their conversation, "have you noticed how different he's been since the end of the war?"

Hermione looked up from her drink with a quizzical look, "I have...not one mudblood comment for two months and he even...he asked me to walk around here with him....it has actually nice to be able to talk to him in a civil tone."

Harry nodded, "I noticed he's been tolerable....maybe he's realized just how much of a git he has been and wants a second chance." As he said this he watched the blonde's back, the neck cracked and the rigidness of the body seemed be telling him that he was listening intently to the conversation, Harry was hoping for this and smirked as he continued. "Wonder what he's up to....I just hope he doesn't start fancying you."

Hermione spat her drink and began coughing, as she laughed slightly, "he's changed, Harry but all those other years and he was one of his followers....I don't....I don't think that'd be possible. Ever."

Harry watched the back drop with a sigh and get up as Harry said one more thing, "do you think he deserves another chance?" The blonde froze and turned around to face Harry with a quizzical look. "I mean...he helped us at the Manor. His mother saved my life. I'm not saying I'd give him one, but I'd at least stop calling him names....over time."

Hermione stared at Harry with a slightly opened mouth, "well...actually I have considered being civil toward him....within reason. I've been thinking about giving him a chance to prove that he's actually a nice person and not that horrible git from our previous school years....but who really knows." Her cheeks flushed and Draco Malfoy nodded to Harry and walked away with a happy stride.

Harry sipped his drink thoughtfully, considering his friend's words. "Do you want to go looking for quills, maybe get some candy?"

Hermione nodded, "what are you playing at Harry?"