Chapter Five

Harry looked at one of the nearest portraits as if it was the single most amazing things he'd ever seen, "shouldn't you be giving me detention Draco?"

Draco shook him off and repeated his statement, "does she Potter? I need to know."

"So you can just hurt her?" Harry scoffed.

Draco shook his head, "just tell me Potter."

Harry nodded slowly, "in a way, I can tell that she does somewhere in the back of her mind. And she's fighting with the idea of telling you, but that doesn't mean you should force it from her! I mean you were there in Hogsmeade, it's not like this should be a shock for you. I suppose accepting the idea is different than just hearing it-especially when you weren't supposed to hear it in the first place," Harry began walking away before Draco could give him any detentions.

"Potter," Draco called after him. "the reason I haven't been a huge git recently because I did so many horrible things in the past and I want to get away from that. I want to be able to walk through the halls without being glared at for what my family did and what I especially did during the war as well. I use to be able to walk the halls and have people retreat in fear of me, I can't take the life of being the son of a death eater, it was a status symbol I used arrogantly but now I have nothing...I want real friends and since I'm stuck with Hermione in close quarters I thought I'd be a little nicer towards her so that she wouldn't be unhappy being head girl everyday of her life-I know it's that bookworms' dream to be one. And maybe by having one person not loathe me all the time...I could feel better about life and maybe able to have a smile on my face that wasn't a smirk or anything."

Harry nodded slowly, "have a nice night Draco." And he began walking again.

Draco gave a slight wave as they parted ways, when Draco entered the common room he saw Hermione sat curled up in a chair seeming to be waiting for him.

"I'm sorry for my statement earlier...." Hermione whispered with tear streaks glistening on her cheeks.

Draco gave a small smile and looked at her, his heart seeming to melt, "I didn't mean to snap, but people either glare at me as I use to do to everyone and no one trusts me in anyway...it's a bit annoying and I'm just so tired of it that I just snapped when you asked me."

"I understand Malfoy...well good night."

With a sense of disappointment tearing at his chest Draco nodded his good night to her and watched her back retreat towards her room, he waited for the door to shut before letting any tears fall. He let them fall as he thought of Hermione and her face with tears, he wished to wipe them away-it hurt, surprisingly, and made him concerned and he hated seeing her this way. He didn't know why but he knew that he was developing feelings for her and it somewhat surprised and scared him....he didn't know what to do and there was no one to talk to about what he was feeling, he had no one in his life-he was alone.

**********

He looked up from his potions essay as the portrait hole opened and Harry Potter came into view, "oi! Where have you been? Its nearly one," he whispered to Harry as he took one of the empty armchairs next to him.

Harry sighed, "I was with Hermione."

Ron Weasley's ears began to burn and he turned back to his essay before his best mate could see that his face was now possibly as red as his hair,"How was she today? That ferret isn't being too harsh on her is he?"

Harry shrugged, "it seems that she hit a nerve and he snapped tonight but other than that they seem alright."

Ron sat up straighter, "what happened?"

Harry rubbed his eyes and yawned before answering, "They had a tiff about Draco's new attitude."

Ron shook his head, "I don't trust that git. He has to be up to something," Ron leaned in closer to Harry and lowered his voice before beginning. "I took a peak at the map tonight and I noticed something during the ferret's patrol, he went into the room of requirement and stayed in there for probably twenty minutes."

Harry frowned and leaned back in his chair, "Ron...I know you really care about Hermione and her safety but I'm sure if something odd was happening she would've told us. She knows better."

Ron sighed, "But what if he's hiding it from her in the room of requirement? We need to check this out!"

Harry sighed, "Ron..."

Ron stood up; knocking everything he had on his lap over in the process, "please Harry. I need this."

Harry stood up and gave a great sigh, "the next time he's patrolling we'll follow him. If that's what will make you happy."

Ron gave a small smile, "thank you Harry."

Harry nodded, "let's get some sleep...I don't think Hermione will help us in potions if we're both completely tired tomorrow."

Ron followed Harry up the stairs to their room and laid down on his four poster bed, he had an uneasy feeling about what Draco was up to. Malfoy had always been so nasty to the three of them and he became the biggest traitor when he finally joined the death eaters and led them through the castle in the battle that scared his older brother. And now after all this, Malfoy has decided that his attitude towards them was wrong-it didn't add up in Ron's mind and he was worried that something was going on with him. But if Harry didn't seem bothered by him then he shouldn't either, however, Harry could be lying to make him feel better in the end-which seemed like a likely idea. With that thought Ron drifted into an uncomfortable sleep, the next time Draco patrolled he would be close behind him to find out his plan.

*******

Dun Dun Duuuun! :P

PLEASE COMMENT AND SUCH!!!