The Kids are Alright

So it took me a while but I thought it would be nice to see how the children are holding up! Please enjoy :)

He walked down the halls with a confident stride, a stride that his mother told him resembled his father all too well most of the time. As Austin walked down the halls of Hogwarts with the glistening Prefect's badge on his robes, he couldn't help but smile to himself. Austin Malfoy was fifteen years old and well liked throughout the school, people found him likeable except for when it came to him being on Prefect duty. Austin was often relentless when it came to rule breaking.

Austin turned a corner to find a pair of students sauntering through the moonlight, he observed that one of them was a small brunet and the other was a fifth year boy from Hufflepuff, Austin frowned as he stepped forward and heard their conversation.

"Hey there cutie, I was wondering...Hogsmeade weekend is—"

"She'll be going with me Jason," Austin stated coolly as he walked closer.

The brunet and Jason turned in shock at the surprise appearance of Austin, he smiled slightly, "you do know its pass curfew right?"

Jason gave a small nod, "yes Austin....I'll be seeing you around." The boy made to run off but Austin pulled his arm out to stop him.

"Please leave my sister alone, Jas," Austin whispered as the boy nodded before running off.

"Aussie! There you are, I waited at the library for you for an hour but I didn't want a professor to come and get me so I had to start walking back," the small brunet gushed as Austin took some of the heavy books she was holding.

"Sorry Em, I got held up taking some lost first years to their common rooms," Austin said as they started walking down the hall.

"Busy night huh?" Emily asked, Austin nodded as they turned up a flight of stairs.

"The usual really, did Jason give you any trouble?" Austin questioned. Emily laughed, Austin was constantly worried about her and it was only fair, Emily was thought of as the prettiest girl in school-boys would fall to her feet just for a simple glance.

"Not today," Emily smiled at her brother. She loved how much he cared for her, she was so grateful to have a brother like him.

"Well, tell me if he does alright? I don't want anything to happen like last time," Austin put his arm over Emily's shoulders as they neared the Ravenclaw common room.

"How's Mark and Jackson doing?" Emily mused as they walked up the last flight of stairs.

Austin laughed slightly, "you need to get some friends of your own you know?"

Emily blushed slightly, "it's hard! Especailly since all of the girls practically hate me!"

"I've told you. They don't hate you, they're just jealous of how pretty you are," Austin joked as they stopped in front of the Ravenclaw Comon Room. "You know I'm not always going to be around right?"

Emily nodded slightly and sighed, "It's hard. You understand that right?"

"Of course I do, but you need to try and make friends who aren't also my friends." Austin ruffled his sister's hair and sighed, "I believe that you can do it."

Emily sighed dejectedly, Austin had given her this speech a bunch of times but she didnt seem to change-she was still the same shy, pretty girl that boys drooled over and many girls were jealous of. The only people Emily actually made an effort to talk to were Austin's friends, it was just easier for Emily to come and be around Austin and his friends. Emily hugged Austin before entering her common room.

Austin headed to the Gryffindor common room as a leasurely pace, glancing over his shoulder every once in a while to see if anyone was around. As he walked he started to think of hte letter he got earlier from his father, Draco, telling him to keep a closer eye on Emily and make sure everything goes well. Although Emily was still only fourteen, a lot of boys thought that she was absoluetly stunning; which resulted in Emily being followed by boys every once in a while.

A month ago, this turned into a problem, Austin shivered just thinking about it-nothing bad had happened but Emily was constantly followed to the point where she couldnt get work done or even make it to class on time. Austin finally put a stop to this by giving the guy a months worth of detentions and threatening him to stay away from his little sister, ever since Austin was even more protective of Emily. As Austin walked into his common room he noticed his friend Mark-who was Emily's age-sitting in front of the fireplace reading. He nodded a greeting before heading to bed, there wasn't much to say about school, everything was normal and boring' but what made Hogwarts fun was spending time with friends. Austin knew he wanted Emily to make friends of her own just so that she could talk to someone who didn't know him like his friends did, but it was also that sibling instinct of wanting to get away from your little sibling-even if you did care about them as much as Austin did. Suppose it was normal that an older sibling would want some kind of space from his younger sibling, he's have to write a letter to his parents in the morning asking about that. But for now, Austin changed for bed and get ready for tomorrow's classes.

~*~*~

There IS a sequel. its called A Taste of Revenge. Give it a glance if you feel intrigued, it's centered around the children.