It's complicated

I'm so happy because of all the reads this story is getting! Thank you! ^_^ 
I uploaded early cuz I think ya'll are awesome!!
Please leave comments!
******* 

“Are we going to talk about what happened?” Hermione whispered as Draco brushed stray hairs out of her face.

            Draco nodded and smiled, “I’m sorry I don’t know what got over me.”

            Hermione sighed, they were sitting on the sofa with the fire lighting the room. Hermione’s legs were casually draped across his lap—a routine they had gotten into since their kiss a few days ago. “I think you do actually.”

            Draco let out a small laugh, “alright. I dreamt of the war and the last conversation I had with Pansy Parkinson and then…I began thinking about all the others I knew and how I had either found their body or witnessed their deaths…and then you came to me and I just felt….over joyed that I had one person who was concerned enough to make sure I was alright...normally I’m left to be alone with my nightmares and when you were standing there, I just couldn’t help myself.”

            Hermione gave a small sad smile, “that would explain the drink.”             

            Draco leaned back into the sofa and sighed, “it takes my mind off things…so, aren’t you supposed to be in love with the weasel?”

            Hermione blushed slightly and looked off into the distance, “it’s complicated.”

            Draco laughed, “not if you actually loved him. If you did, you wouldn’t have let me kiss you like that night—you wouldn’t have stayed with me.”

            She glared at him darkly, “he left us you know? In the middle of the war, he left saying he was tired of not doing anything. He came back soon enough though. But that sort of thing makes me not want to trust him—what if he just up and leaves again? The fact that he made me cry over him every night and practically break my heart is what’s stopping me from being with him.”

            Draco nodded, “do you love him?”

            “I do but….”

            “Do you?”

            “Like I said….”

            Draco sighed, “you don’t love him.”

            Hermione let out a laugh, “are you the king of relationships then Malfoy?”

Draco frowned at this, “If you did you would’ve told him already and you wouldn’t have kissed me or we wouldn’t be sitting like this.” As he pointed to the fact that her legs were draped across his lap and they were sitting closer than two people normally should. “And for your information, I dated Parkinson…”

            Hermione sucked in a breath as she reached for one of his hands and started playing with his fingers, “did you love her?”

            Draco shrugged, “I wouldn’t call it love…but I wouldn’t say it wasn’t either. It was more of infatuation…She was the only person there for me when I actually needed someone.”

            “She turned on you though…” Hermione whispered.

            Draco turned his head so sharply he realized he had cracked his neck in the process, “how did you know?”

            Hermione looked at their hands and shrugged, “I might’ve been in that general area at the time during the war…”

            Draco smirked, “would you have stopped her?”

            Hermione looked up at Draco, “I would’ve stopped her from hurting you, yes but I didn’t know who was who so I wouldn’t have known it was you….I can’t believe how she died.”

            Draco let out a shaky breath, he never talked about the war with anyone else and as he looked at Hermione he realized that she would listen to anything he would tell her.

            “She was my best friend you know?”

            Hermione nodded as she moved closer to Draco, she gripped both of his hands and gave a small smile, “tell me about her.”

            Draco laughed, “you don’t care.”

            Hermione slowly shook her head, “It’d be interesting to learn about someone who hated me even though I hadn’t done anything to her.” Hermione looked Draco straight in the eyes before continuing, “besides. It’s better to talk to friends about things that haunt them before it eats them up inside.”

            Draco’s chest swelled with joy as her words sunk in, they hadn’t discussed it but now hearing Hermione say it he truly realized that they were friends. Not close friends but two people who wanted to be friends who were still getting used to each other. Draco gave a small smile before continuing, for the next hour Draco talked about his nightmare from the other night and various people who had died that he was relatively close to. When Draco finished the room was quiet aside from the crack of firewood, they sat closer than before and Hermione’s head was now resting on his shoulder—the smell of vanilla absorbed his senses.
“What if someone decides to recreate Voldemort’s plan to make the world in their views?” Hermione whispered.

            Draco lifted Hermione’s face to see her hazel eyes, “I’d stay where I’m wanted.”

            “What makes you so sure you’re wanted on this side?” Hermione smirked.

            Draco gave his famous smirk, “I’d say by the way we’re sitting. And by the mere fact that you kissed me just as passionately as I kissed you—I’m positive I’m wanted here.”

            Hermione blushed as she stared back at Draco, “I think it’s clear that you’re getting a second chance from me. But understand this: if someone has decided to come back and they start a war and you betray any of us. No one will help you.”

            Draco wrapped his arms around Hermione as he pulled her even closer, he breathed in her warm and welcoming scent as he stared at the fire. “Thank you Hermione.”