Chapter 11

I feel my own heart, beating ever so slowly, my joints frozen in place, unable to move at all. I watch the shadow moving hesitantly past the window. The figure stops, turns its gruesome facial features towards the glass. I feel its stare looking straight at me. Its presents giving me a cold shiver down my pointed spine. I feel its monstrous breath impel through the mesh slightly behind the glass window.

I feel my mind clogging up with fear of the beast, something I have only ever seen in my dreams, something I’ve only ever seen in the nightmare’s I have had on Lorien. The despair and sorrow it must have brought to my planet. I feel a surge of power course through me of anger and hatred. I grab my golden broach and hold out the sword in front of me.

Before Twelve can stop me, I’m soaring through the air, aiming my gleaming blade straight at the beast, it rips through the flesh of the beast, which I now realise is a 50 ft Piken. Something I hoped I would never have to face. The Piken is vomit green colour, the monstrosity smells of death and pain, probably from what it has caused in the past. There are spikes running along its back built to kill anything that attacks from above, its claws like a raptor which rip through almost any substance. Long crooked teeth running across the rims of its mouth, its teeth looking almost too big then the beast can handle.

I twist my dagger left and right, causing the creature to roar out in pain, the outcry shaking the windows and buildings around us. I hear stomping from the ground, I see an army of Mogadorian soldiers marching into the motel car park.

I stab the Piken once again continuously jabbing. Making the demon angrier, its sharp claws scratching along its back trying to get me off its body. I ascend towards the sky turn around when I am high enough. I dive through the air. A devilish scowl across my face. I will kill this beast, if it’s the last thing I do. I rip through almost the middle of the giant my figure struggling through with the push of my legacy. I reach the other side, catching a glimpse of Twelve fighting the army of Mogs.

The Piken topples over, the light fading from its devilish red eyes. I try using the same legacy I used in my last fight to speak to Twelve. I concentrate while fighting off a Mog and whisper to myself hoping it will reach Twelve’s mind. ‘We need to leave now, more reinforcements will be coming.’ I see Twelve’s head turn to me and does a quick nod. I’m finally mastering my new ability. But I still have much to learn.

I turn quick sprint as fast as I can to where Twelve is. I yell at him to jump on my back. I’m giving him a piggy back in a matter of seconds. I shoot up to where our motel room was. We grab our bags which were right next to where I landed. He jumps back on my back and I shoot out. Barely being able to carry the weight of Twelve on my back. We’ve travelled only a few miles when I descend back to the ground.

As soon as our feet touch the floor. We sprint like our life depended on it, honestly our life does actually depend on it. I see a small lake off to the right of the woods we’re running through. We run over to the lake and jump in to the murky water. I glide through the water to what looks like a small rock poking out of the water. I skimmer behind it so that when the Mogs pass they won’t know we are there, even if we have our heads above the water.

After a few minutes, my breath slowly calming down, the army of Mogadorians, or the ones that are still left, run past the small lake Twelve and I are in. Another few minutes pass and we climb out of the water. Again Twelve and I start sprinting in the opposite direction. There’s a small clearing up ahead so we make our way over to it. Only to realise it’s a old road. Not many cars driving on it. But there is a small beat up van coming up to us on the road at a strong speed. Twelve uses his telekinesis to stop the engine. The vehicle slowly stops.

Twelve and I quickly make our way over to the car.

“Beat it, we need the car.” We say out of breath.

Obviously when the two men refuse Twelve threatens them, I bring out my sword, their eyes locking onto the sharpness of it. With that they jump out of the van as quick as lighting. Twelve jumps in the car, using his telekinesis to quickly restart the engine. I give the two men a small bit of money for their troubles and jump in the passenger door. I wouldn’t usually give people money like that, but I have plenty considering I’m not staying in an actual place and they didn’t look like the richest of people so I gave them a little for taking their car.

Twelve zooming down the old highway like a race car driving in a very important race. Over taking the rarely occurring car. After a few hours of driving with great speed. Twelve starts to relax on the wheel. I see a sign saying Chicago 10 miles.

“Chicago? Why Chicago?” I ask Twelve confused.

“I don’t know. I thought it would be a good place. I like big cities. They comfort me.”

“They never use to” I whisper to myself.

“Pardon babe?”

I look down covering the blush rising on my cheeks at the use of babe as a nickname for me. “don’t worry” I quickly reply. “So are we going to stay here long? Or is it just a quick stop on the way to a new place?”

“Umm, I don’t know, I saw some stuff about, what I think is potential Loric here a few days back, before you came.” He replies with a genuine smile. “If something comes up involving them, then we’ll stay.”

I think about it for the moment. I can’t imagine finding the others; let alone what they would look like. I barely recognised Twelve and I’ve known him since I was young. I really want to know what legacies they have. And what has happened with all of them in the past. Just everything, what it was like to grow up with Cepan’s guiding and protecting. All this information I want to know is eating away at me, slowly disintegrating my brain.

Driving into Chicago, Twelve takes a few left and right hand turns. He parks the car next to the gutter of the footpaths, with people clustered all over them, walking every which way. Twelve gets out of the car and looks up to the building we’re parked almost right in front of. A big sign reads ‘John Hancock Building’ It is by far one of the biggest buildings in all of Chicago

At the very top of the building, which is what I think would be the master suite of the building, but it is in ruins. Charcoal black, walls and windows smashed and broken. It looks like the remains of a great battle.

“What do you think happened there?” I ask Twelve curiously.

“Actually that’s what I saw on the news. And surprisingly there were seven teenagers, one child, and one adult.  Some our age, some older, some younger. But there were seven, there are seven of Loric left, not including us. And why would some people or things attack a bunch of teenagers.  A bit strange don’t you think? I think they were attacked by Mogs. But it only happened a few days ago so we’re not far behind them.” He says proud about himself.

Twelve is still as curious and hopeful as he always was. Thinking in drama in the world was Loric and like us. But I guess I can’t argue about those facts. It’s not like we have anything better do. We have a bunch of Mogs after us and staying in one place for a long time isn’t the best idea to evade the Mogs.