Chapter 12

Twelve and I make our way over to the entrance of the John Hancock building, swerving between everyone as we walk over. The lobby of this very pristine building is very elegant. The walls made of shining creamy coloured tile, the floor a marble cover, the reception has a gold plated bench with a small reception sitting on a comfortable chair serving the people approaching her. Many plants surround the very tall room as well as the detailed fountain the feeds many little compartments of the fountain, the centre piece of the fountain carved into a beautiful angel.

I approach the reception while Twelve is still admiring the lobby. “We’re news crew; may we please go and have a look at the pent house?” Her eyes lock to mine, she looks my body up and down, sizing me up with her eyes. It makes me feel a bit uncomfortable from the way she sizes me up like she is deciding whether or not to punch my lights out, or at least try. She is either a very grumpy person or she is having a very bad day today.

“You need a press pass to look at the pent house.” She answers very rudely.

I bring my bag from over my shoulder and search through it, I pull out a $50 note, I put the small amount of cash compared to how much I really have on the stainless gold top. Her head looks over to the note, she grabs the note and looks up to me.

“Take the elevator to the top and be quick.”

I head back over to Twelve grab his arm and lead him over to the elevator, Twelve is obviously still dazzled over the lobby. He takes quite interest into interior decorating, not knowing what’s happening Twelve fights against my hold as I pull him. I push him in the door and press the button that’s shuts them. I press the largest number on the wall hoping it’s the right number. The small elevator comes to a halt and the doors screech open. I step out into the content room. I can see it use to be very modern and lively but a lot of it is now destroyed and black.

I walk down a hallway to the right and look at all the circular dark marks on the wall. They do look awfully like the blaster indents the Mogs made back at Twelve’s house. As I rummage through a small pile of trash on the floor finding a speck of anything that has happened, or a clue of where these teenage kids are. I walk into a small bedroom, there is what looks like blood all over the floor.

I walk over to the stained carpet, run my fingertips over the dried up blood. I wonder what happened here, who and why were they bleeding. Almost automatically my vision changes I’m in the same room except its night time. There is a man lying on the floor, an obvious gash in his side, blood pouring out across the floor, a young boy in the middle of the room, he looks about my age, he looks quite scrawny and weak, his short black hair covering a few cuts that are lining the hairline of his head.

He leans next to another boy lying on a bed in the middle of the room. This boy is blonde, he looks more toned and muscled but he seems like he is asleep and next to him is a small child, she might be 10 or 11 but she is also asleep. The dark haired boy is leaning against the side of the bed, shaking the blonde boy violently moving his head from the door to the older man on the floor. His eyes are worried and scared.

After a while the dark haired boy leaves the boy on the bed and kneels over the man on the floor. “Dad you can’t leave me, I only just got you back.” He whispers to the man, his face turning sickly pale. At that moment a bunch of Mogs burst in the room, I knew it this is the result of an attack of Mogadorians Twelve was right. The Mogs block off the door, the boy drags his father behind the bed and grabs what looks like a gun from the edge of the room.

The boy sits there shooting the Mogs. Why isn’t he using his legacies? Is he garde? If he’s not Garde then why are the Mogs attacking them? Multiple questions go through my head as the scene plays out in front of me. The Mogs manoeuvre slowly over to the bed, they pick up the young girl and as soon as she is lifted in the air, the blonde boy who was right next to her leaps to his feet.

The dark haired boys eyes watch as the blonde boy jumps up. “John!” the dark haired boy yells. John? So that’s his name. Somehow John makes a few fire balls in his hand and throws them at the Mogs. The remaining Mogadorians run out of the room, including the one holding the small child.

John goes to run after her but stops and moves his head around. His eyes shift from the dark haired boys teary eyes and the older man’s wound. John rushes back over to the dark haired boy’s father. “Sam, I won’t let you lose your father.” John says to I think the dark haired boy’s name is Sam. John moves his hands over the man on the floor and somehow the wound slowly heals. Okay that is so cool, he is definitely a garde and he can heal!

It doesn’t take long for the man on the floor to be up on his feet. “Malcolm take Sam and Bernie Kosar out of here!” Bernie Kosar who the hell is Bernie Kosar? As that thought leaves my mind a small beagle walks into the room, a dog. A dog! Why the hell do they have a dog when they fight Mogs!

They rush back into what looks like the living room and Sam and Malcolm get into the elevator. But the dog doesn’t rush in after them. The dog looks at John and transforms into a bird and flies out the window. What the hell? How did the dog shape shift? Is he Loric or something? The elevator doors slam shut, I hear sounds of an engine starting. Wasn’t there a little girl here before, where’d she go? I go up to the roof and see a huge beast, but its fighting the Mogs? Did one of their own turn against them? I see the beasts eyes, they are the same as Bernie Kosar’s. The Mogs shoot multiple blaster holes in the side of Bernie Kosar. An ear splitting roar punctures my ears and the scene disintegrates.

I’m back in the same room as before, the bedroom, or the use to be bedroom with blood.  I rush out of the room, tripping over almost everything in my way because of how fast I’m going. I find Twelve in a white room. But all the tiles on the walls look smashed and there are small mechanical things on the floor.

Twelve’s eyes look up to me, his expression changes when he sees my face. “What happened?”

I tell him everything I saw in the vision. Every little detail I could muster about everything, the looks of the humans I’m guessing and John the Garde and Bernie Kosar the transforming dog. The ship on top of the roof and the girl who the Mogs took.

Twelve jumps off the floor and we try to find a way to the roof, the what use to be stairs are busted and broken. I grab Twelve’s arm and drag him over to the window.

“Do you trust me?”

“Yes?”

I pull him by the wrist out of the window. We fall a few stories but then my legacy kicks in. I shoot back up carrying Twelve by his wrist, his eyes covered in fear, looking towards the ground. I land on the roof letting Twelve fall before me. He rolls a few metres from the impact but immediately gets back up on his feet.